Painting a Plywood Shelf

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have put up a plywood shelf inside a cupboard which will be used as a wardrobe so the shelf will be used to hold clothes etc.

I was going to prime/undercoat and finish with 2 coats of gloss paint which I already have but I am worried that the gloss paint could be to 'sticky' a finish for this use.

Would I be better off using eggshell or satin or something completely different?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Sponsored Links
Your choice of finish (eggshell/satin/gloss) should not be about stickiness, but about how flat or shiny you want it to be. When it is properly dry, no paint should be sticky!

In a wardrobe, I'd go for eggshell, personally, but it's up to you. I'd also recommend waterbased rather than oilbased, as it's inside. It will dry more quickly, not go yellow and it will smell less.

Thanks for your reply

I'm not that concerned about the sheen, only that any clothes/items left up on the shelf can 'slide' along as it would on a melamine finish when things get piled up there, if you know what I mean

I used a waterbased gloss paint on my bedroom window sill about 12 months ago and even now if I leave a few coins on it overnight they still 'stick' and don't come off as easy as they do on other sills painted with oil based gloss.

The house will be empty for a while so i'll stick to the oil based gloss paint I have.

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back