chipped foam for loft?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
our company makes pannels with rigid foam insulation in the middle, which we buy in big sheets, and we constantly have scrap pieces and offcuts of it which just end up in the skips..

I was thinking of bringing it back home in bin bags ( pending permission from the big boss, can't see it being a problem saves him space in the skips.. ) and storing it in the shed.

once i have plenty, I want to run it through a chipper ( the tree branch type ) and then use it in my loft for insulation...

any ideas if this would be a viable alternative to fibreglass?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a plan. Don't know if it will be more effective than if you leave it in sheet form, although there will be more trapped air (good) if it's shredded but you'll probably need if three times as deep to get the same insulation value. But if it's free then why not.

These panels you make, what's the construction, materials used and fixing method? Are they sips panels, which look nothing more than kingspan glued between 18mm osb.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back