Chock Blocks?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Hope someone can help me. I'm attempting to replace an original ceiling rose with a chandelier. I think the ceiling rose is a loop system and that one of the neutral blue wires (that someone has placed a brown casing on) is actually the switch wire? The light fitting I am putting in has a chock block with three spaces on each side but nowhere for the wire that was separate in the other ceiling rose.
Do I just need to buy a separate chock block with more space? Do I wire up the live wire from the new light to the switch wire in the chock block or the other live wires from the ceiling cable?
Hope this makes some sense to somebody, it's getting dark!!!

Sponsored Links
The switched live (blue with brown sleeving) should be connected with the brown in your new fitting.
The permanent lives which were connected together in your ceiling rose should be terminated in a forth connector block.

As you say the blue/ brown is the switchwire to the chand,(live)
The 2 or more live browns together, do not go in any of the three blocks.
These go seperate in there own block
These are permanently live from the mcb.
OR :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone,
Could I use the brass coloured small connector from the original ceiling rose to house the permanent lives if I then wrapped it in electrical tape or do I need to buy a specific type of fourth chock block/connector?
Thanks for replying so quickly.

Sponsored Links
you will need 4 different connection points.

1 earth
2 neutral
3 loop feed (permanet live)
4 switched live(return live from switch)

1 Firstley connect all the earths from the ceiling togehter in a connecter block,

2 now take all the blue wire from the ceiling and connect them straight into a connector block, blue wire from light fitting also goes into this connector block but do this once you have connected the ceiling ones

3 now take all the other brown wires from the ceiling and connect them straight in to a connector block on there own.

4 the blue wire with brown sleving should be the switch wire , this connects to the brown wire from your light fitting.

Thanks everyone,
Could I use the brass coloured small connector from the original ceiling rose to house the permanent lives if I then wrapped it in electrical tape or do I need to buy a specific type of fourth chock block/connector?

No, don't do that!
Buy a suitably sized connector block.

Thanks Garymo,
I assume that one connector block that has enough room to wire up correctly and also house the permanent lives separately would do as opposed to buying a separate block for the lives?

Thanks Garymo,
I assume that one connector block that has enough room to wire up correctly and also house the permanent lives separately would do as opposed to buying a separate block for the lives?

You will maybe have to buy a strip of more than 4 anyway, the choice is yours to cut and use a 4 strip or single ones

Cool bananas! Thanks to all for help, wiring is calling....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back