choice of lintel to support double garage roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
can anyone help with this ?
I would like to remove a central wall in my double garage and put in a lintel to make one large space. the span would be about 5.5 metres. the current wall is brick and just 1 brick wide. can anyone suggest what kind of lintel is appropriate (rsj/concrete/timber ?)and how much they cost.
do i have to involve structural engineers/building control etc

Sponsored Links
do i have to involve structural engineers/building control etc
Probably.

In what way is this central wall supporting the roof?

We can't see your layout so we do not know how your garage is configured in relation to roof verses walls.

There may be a lean-to roof, a gable or hip roof, the garage may be integral or stand alone, the gable may run from to back or side to side etc, etc.

Hi the garage has a flat roof, does that help

Not as much as answering Nose's questions.

Without knowing the size of the room, my answer would be, a blody big one, which would eat either into headroom, or protrude above the roof surface and need weatherproofing.

...unless you can build a supporting column within the room itself?

Wearable?

Sponsored Links
the brick wall goes up to the ceiling. the wall is 6m long. i plan to remove 4.5 m of it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back