Chooseing a quality brush?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

As i want to repaint my house would it be possible for someone to give me a tip on choosing the right brush for the work, i need to no about how to choose a brush because i have seen that you can get synthetic brushes an so on, there is so many out there that i don't no which one to choose so could anyone help me please

Thanks

Kev

Sponsored Links
hello portsy :)

Paint the house ...???

inside outside , emulsion , gloss , undercoat ...?

Imho I always pay a bit more an get a good brush from a paint store not the DIY sheds ,although they sell some good single ones , not the multi pack ones though ...:)

If your talking about the outside thenyou'l be thinking about a three or four inch brush for the cutting in.

Hamilton make some of the best brushes around but at about 18 quid for a three inch and 25/30 for a four inch...i wouldnt bother.

As moz says go for a decent brush from a paint retailer...pick hold of the brush and open the bristles..if you see a big chunck of wood in the centre dont bother with it

I use this company...decent brushes fair price..the neptune range is very good

http://www.wsbrushes.co.uk/

Thanks for the replys guys, an sorry moz im painting inside at home?
Is there any kind better for doing the inside

thanks alot

Kev

Sponsored Links
portsy

Not being a decorator myself but I find those foam pads great for no brush marks when glossing doors /skirting boards .....:)

IMO Purdy make the best brushes for emulsion paints, they are expense but are brilliant and don't wear down as quickly as normal brushes.

I also like Purdy, but they are not to everyones taste, iv heard a certain person whose name i will withhold but begins with Z, describe them as 'like trying to cut in with a wet piece of cod'. ;)

papergirl said:
I also like Purdy, but they are not to everyones taste, iv heard a certain person whose name i will withhold but begins with Z, describe them as 'like trying to cut in with a wet piece of cod'. ;)
l have asked this question before and was told purdy are synthetic brushes, which are not very good for gloss painting but good for touching in on emulsions. Have l got this right :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back