choosing a carpet help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I will be looking for a carpet shortly. There a six of us most of the time, heavy traffic.
Im trying to find a heavy duty carpet, not sure what type oz or were to buy from.

we are far from the tidyest, bikes through the house (terraced house) etc..

Sponsored Links
no simple answer to your question I am afraid, but I will try.

Firstly try and avoid the national chains

Secondly you mention stains are a likely worry - no carpet is bullet proof but polypropelyne is considered to be a fairly "stain resistant" material

Your budget will determine what you actually end up with

more info is required;

what areas are you carpeting
how long do you want it to last
can you buy a bike shed
etc

Have you considered a good quality laminate; you can wash it regularly when it gets dirty which, by the sound of it, yours will & it’s a far more healthy option in a busy, well used household.

no simple answer to your question I am afraid, but I will try.

Firstly try and avoid the national chains

Secondly you mention stains are a likely worry - no carpet is bullet proof but polypropelyne is considered to be a fairly "stain resistant" material

Your budget will determine what you actually end up with

more info is required;

what areas are you carpeting
how long do you want it to last
can you buy a bike shed
etc

Dining and living room, 5yrs plus to last

bike shed is a no, we have no front garden and live in a terrace.

area 15ft x 24ft

Sponsored Links
Have you considered a good quality laminate; you can wash it regularly when it gets dirty which, by the sound of it, yours will & it’s a far more healthy option in a busy, well used household.

I thought of that and I think its a good idea, but there a two obstacles

the wife, thinks they are cold, hard t keep clean and not noise proof. (she can be noisy shouting) and doesnt want to upset the neighbours.

I have 2 rooms, into 1, could i carpet oneside and wood floor the other, or would that look stupid.

Why does a bike get moved through your living room?

...I thought you were talking about your hall!!!

If you can afford it what about an LVT tile (karndean type)
you will pay around £60m2 installed - its warmer and quieter than laminate. you will do well to scratch or damage it. You can have a design in it and most importantly you can clean it

...if it must be carpet then a pp loop pile starts around £6m2 and twist pile carpets start to get decent at around £14m2

you will pay around £60m2 installed - its warmer and quieter than laminate. you will do well to scratch or damage it. You can have a design in it and most importantly you can clean it

...if it must be carpet then a pp loop pile starts around £6m2 and twist pile carpets start to get decent at around £14m2

basically the bike comes through the hall dining room and kitchen , lvt sounds way to expensive. was looking at £17 per m2 max

just been browsing and those tiles are about £18 m2, so that would be £42 fitting m2 surely not.
it looks nice too

the karndean tile starts at about 18 quid a meter but that will be an internet price that wont give any guarranty and you will find it hard to get someone to install.

A proper retail shop will be selling at about £25 sq'm for the basic range and £35 ish a meter for the better product. (dont forget they have a premises to pay for compared to the internet shops along with trained installers)

Next you will need floor preperation. This on adverage will cost about £15 sq'm.

Then you will have install costs and planner/inspection cost and then you will also have the cost of the adhesive to glue it down along with costs towards trowel blades, rollers, sealents etc so yes £60 sq'meter is about right when you add it all together.

To be honest your not going to get a carpet to do what you want for £17 sq'm unless you plan on changing every 2 years. When you add your underlay/gripper/install cost on top, well you would be better going for the karndean that will look loads better along with it out lasting the carpet by years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back