Choosing a correctly sized boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks

I realise there are past threads covering this but I'm still confused by the subject.

In a nutshell, I moved into a property with a 35KW Glow Worm Combi boiler. My brother in law is able to obtain a very low priced 30KW Worcester 4000 Combi boiler. I'm tempted as my Glow Worm is very long in the tooth. However, I feel I'm getting mixed messages regarding appropriate sizing.

Some specs relating to my property (not sure if all relevant):

- Mid terrace stone house, circa 1830.
- 3 bedrooms
- Four floors (basement and loft conversion) with boiler located in basement
- 2 bathrooms
- 2 adults, 1 child
- 11 radiators (2 of which are bathroom towel rail type)
- Flow rate from mains water around 14 litres per minute
- No need for two showers operating at the same time

My question is would the Worcester 4000 be sufficient? I've received advice against the Worcester in that, because of the distance from the boiler to the furthest radiator, I'll need at least 35kw powered boiler. Additionally, the Worcester has a flow rate of 12.3 litres per minute, which is under the flow rate from my mains, which is also apparently an issue (but I don't know why).

Any advice is much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back