1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Choosing strimmer line

Discussion in 'In the Garden' started by d000hg, 13 Sep 2019 at 12:38 PM.

1. d000hg

d000hg

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I recently got a Dewalt XR battery strimmer (equivalent to a low power petrol model), which is recommended for 2mm line. Of course they recommend their own line but is there any real difference?
    I'm not thinking I want to buy super cheap stuff but rather, is there anything better performing than theirs? I see all kinds of serrated and twisted lines.
    Main use is going to be nettles and the like - it works great on these with the small line provided but that's running out.

Anyone have any guesses what rate line is used up? I see it sold in 15, 60, 100+m rolls and no idea what I need. I have visions of buying 100m and still using it in 30 years!!

2. lostinthelight

lostinthelight

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    From what I can see Dewalt stuff is not expensive so if its been performing ok why change?
    I wouldnt have thought too many folk have used Dewalt cord to make a direct comparison?

3. SFK

SFK

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    For reference for garden and some hard use I use about 15m (of 1.6mm) every few years.
    i buy the mid priced stuff from ebay that works okay.
    never tried the tristed etc, but there are some youtube videos (the one i saw did not show any spectacular results to show any better than another).

• Thanks Thanks x 1