Anyone used Stihl electric strimmers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently use the DeWalt XR strimmer around my 1/2 acre and it's pretty good on grass, but struggles with big weeds and is no match for brambles.

I've thought for a while about getting a classic Stihl petrol unit, but was wondering how the electric ones stack up, especially as I've previously bought into the AP system (long reach trimmer, chainsaw).

So especially the FSA range, has anyone got/used these and how do they compare to petrol?

Sponsored Links
Not a strimmer, but we have recently bought a Stihl hedge trimmer which is battery powered.
The A10 battery is said to last for 40 minutes' work, and in our own experience it will do that and probably exceed it. According to the 'book of lies', it is powerful enough to cut through 16mm branches and, having used it today on such a thing, that yes it can!
I can strongly recommend the Stihl trimmer and, going by the quality and effectiveness, I'm sure that the equivalent strimmer would work as well.

@JBR I have the AP long reach hedge trimmer and long reach pole saw and both are excellent. So is the AP chainsaw though it gets through the battery quickly... I'm unsure if thick weeds and brambles are something a battery model can handle yet... At least without the backpack battery which I don't want to buy

I have the 18 volt makita strimmer which is very good on grass, but for brambles and weeds you need to look at a brush cutter.

Blup

Sponsored Links
Well they do electric brushcutters, I think the FSA130 (not got the page open to check). They have weird fixed plastic blades that look like drone rotors, do these have the oomph?

I have the 18 volt makita strimmer which is very good on grass, but for brambles and weeds you need to look at a brush cutter.

Blup
You can get battery powered brushcutters/clearing saws, probably not in the op's budget though!

As I said in a previous thread I have converted an 18v makita to take a blade and its a game changer for dense vegetation , brambles etc

Last edited:
Well they do electric brushcutters, I think the FSA130 (not got the page open to check). They have weird fixed plastic blades that look like drone rotors, do these have the oomph?
I would be happy using a 36 volt battery with high amp hour rating. Under high load, batteries drain quickly so consider a back up.

Blup

@JBR I have the AP long reach hedge trimmer and long reach pole saw and both are excellent. So is the AP chainsaw though it gets through the battery quickly... I'm unsure if thick weeds and brambles are something a battery model can handle yet... At least without the backpack battery which I don't want to buy
Do what I do (at my age) and do a bit at a time. The battery will recharge in under an hour while you have a rest!

Do what I do (at my age) and do a bit at a time. The battery will recharge in under an hour while you have a rest!
Yeah, if I can get half an hour use that's enough, I tend to do a bit each week not a huge load.
With the long reach tools my shoulders give out long before the battery!

They are very good, when I finished using it for the first time, as I got near to the shed to put it away I unhooked the brush cutter and it felt like someone was trying to wrestle it from my grip it felt so heavy being unsupported.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back