Chopping down Conifers

Stump grinding is definitely worth it, had about 20 of the devil's work in my garden. Was able to plant straight into the soil after and the added benefit on my clay was that the soil was effectively dug over by the machine and chipped bark incorporated which opened it up and improved the drainage and structure.

If you are able to afford it get somebody into do it, definite worry of feet getting ground at the same time as the stumps!

If they can not get the grinder round the back, they should be able to use a chainsaw to give the same effect.

If you leave them in, you will break your back getting them out or they will still be there 10 years from now.

Andrew

Sponsored Links
Eventually got round to digging these up. I opted for a fork, spade and axe and got 8 of them up in around 3 hours - pretty good going I thought. I dug around the base until I hit a root and then axed it. I repeated until the stump moved enough for me to twist it out. Much much easier than I thought. Hard work all the same but no major headaches.

I've got two left that appear to go under the patio so will leave them for the fencer to get out when he puts a fence in.

Thanks for the advice all.

If anyone has a similar dilemma then its well worth buying an axe and digging them up yourself - not as big a job as I had thought.

Cheers!

[/b]

Sponsored Links
travis perkins are 76 for a weekend or 53 for the day. Ask if there are any resharpening charges. oh and no they wont burn out!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back