Chopping in back boxes ...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone have any ideas / know of special tools etc to help in the chopping in of back boxes in to brick (those blue ones are bl**dy hard)

Or I am I stuck with good old fashioned hammer and chisel and aching arms :(

Sponsored Links
i recently had the same problem. i hired a chipping tool from a hire centre and the work was easy.

cost about £20-£30 for the day - but was worth every penny!!! (depends on No. of sockets you have)

Sponsored Links
Chipping tool sounds good .. is that its proper name?
It must save the hire cost in time alone ?

i'm not sure of the proper name

it was a hilti hammer drill with a small chisel on the end.

i tried drilling and chiselling one back box and couldn't do it within 2 hours

hired the tool and it took me less than 2 hours to do 9 back boxes!!!

How about an angle grinder with a diamond blade followed by a SDS drill with a chisel bit. Plenty of dust but if replastering is on the cards if you make the cuts deep enough you can get nice square corners. About 5 mins for a box in blocks dont know about brick. Just make sure you carry the line on past the corner well.

I use a Hilti box cutter and sds chisel. Works well for me.
You drill a 7mm pilot hole first to locate the cutter, which is used afterwards for the fixing.

Why haven't I thought of an angle grinder before :eek:
I have an SDS drill / chisel but it tends to have a mind of its own and puts big holes (sometimes serving hatches :LOL: ) in the wall!
A couple or more cuts down the brick with a grinder should give the SDS chisel some guidelines?

NOW where do I buy a good cheap angle grinder .....................

We have a chase cutter - two diamond blades (like an angle grinder) 25mm apart.

We use this for the boxes aswell, a couple passes, and quick hit with the hammer.

They are great for breeze block. In brick you need to do some chiseling to save time but have not used it much on engineering bricks.
Makes a nice square hole.

if youve got a decent drill why dont you mark out where the box is going then pepper that box mark with a series of holes the depth of the box, then chase out with a skutch chisel.

Lectrician said:
We have a chase cutter - two diamond blades (like an angle grinder) 25mm apart.

We use this for the boxes aswell, a couple passes, and quick hit with the hammer.

Why are the blades 25mm apart?
or is that just for the cable run?
and how much are they?

get a box sinker... the round cutter is ideal and the square cutter can manage soft brick. if hard brick, use a SDS chisel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back