chopping into brick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anyone reckommend the best way of chopping back boxes into brick work.
i've currently got a contract rewiring kitchens with 10 outlets plus cooker circuit.
i'm finding myself taking most of the day chopping out in these old brick houses.
i currently use a sds 110v drill with a chisel bit
but im finding either the bricks fall apart on me making it hard to secure the box or the bricks or like bell metal.

Sponsored Links
Gang drill with depth stop around the outside, then use the chisel to break out the centre.

Or use surface mount stuff :LOL:

And know exactly what you mean with regards to the bricks, put a curtain rail up for a relative in a terraced coucil house, either it was bloody slow drilling into the brick even with an SDS, and on another bracket it just all crumbled away when you tried to get a fixing in it

If the bricks crumble, don't you just pack the boxes in with mortar, plus a long screw to hold them steady while it hardens?

Sponsored Links
I've found one coat plaster works just as well for 'glueing' back boxes in. You can also patch the hole up at the same time with this. :)

Chain drill around the outside then use a combed scutch chisel .
I did try an experiment with "Pink Grip" - used a few spots to stick a single metal box to a concrete block outside in all weathers for 3 months, had to hit it with a lump hammer to get it off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back