Tips for chasing into hard & brittle brick ?

Sponsored Links
Alright, I've tried with the multi-tool. The standard offset plunge blade has a plunge depth of 50mm, and in a soft common brick I was able to plunge to that depth quite quickly, withdrawing a couple of times to clear the dust. Then tried in cement mortar, which was very easy to cut but hard on the blade. I think I could have cut all round a brick to remove it, if necessary.
Then tried a new blade on a hard facing brick. Rather difficult to get started, because of the vibration it kept jumping about on the brick. Once I'd got started I could cut into the brick, but very slowly. Finally I tried a paving slab, not a hydraulically pressed one. That totally destroyed the blade with hardly a mark on the slab.
All in all, I think the test proves this tool is not much use for chasing, although it'd be fine for a neat chase in plaster. This was an Aldi cheapo fitted with a standard blade though, and perhaps Bosch or Fein have a special blade for brick. I'll ask if they're at Toolfair in November.

Sponsored Links
Well, I asked the question, so I suppose I had to answer it!
That's not how it usually works, at least not in internet forums/fora - people usually ask a question because they need or expect someone else to answer it :)

Kind Regards, John

perhaps Bosch or Fein have a special blade for brick.
A quick bit of searching has found that there are blade makers who sell diamond or carbide blades for masonry, and they (of course) do adapters to allow their blades to be used on all the common multi-tools.

Probably OK for most brick - might struggle on engineering ones, or on concrete.

Good point about starting - maybe drill a couple of siamesed holes or whack it with a scutch chisel first?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back