Problem with chasing into brick (bricks keep falling out...)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a "building" issue but I imagine people in this section have encountered it more. In this 1930's ex-LA cavity walled house, I seem unable to cut into brick for new sockets. Even the pressure of the drill bit at the start begins to slide the brick backwards out of the wall, and if I use a chisel then it moves all over the place. Twice now I've ended up with a completely loose brick which I just pulled out of the wall, set on the floor to drill into, then slid back into place (and hopefully fixed it well enough) afterwards.

Is this likely just an issue with the walls, the mortar being too weak now to resist? I don't think my bits are especially blunt or ineffective and it doesn't feel like I'm applying a lot of pressure.

I've only got one more socket to do but it's a real pain and feels horribly messy. Not like those nice videos on YouTube...

Sponsored Links
Using a grinder to cut the wall into littles squares then lightly chisselling these away may have been better, but very dusty.

Sounds like if you only have one left to do it's hardly worth hiring one.

Cementing the brick back in is one option, drilling the fixing holes in the brick before cementing back seems the answer.

Put plenty of cement round the edges of the box too.

As you've found out, not the most satisfactory way of doing things, but as long as the cement bonds then it will all be forgotten about.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back