Wall Chasing Problems

Is this house in the UK? Your description sounds like the hollow bricks that are used a lot in mainland Europe.

Sponsored Links
This how a brick is made up
RX-DK-DIY082013_indented-bricks_s4x3_lg.jpg

If you're hitting the thin bit at the top, and there's no mortar filling the frog, it will appear that the brick is 5-10mm thick and what you're seeing is the other half of the brick.

It's somewhat academic though, if the frog is where you want the socket to be, you can either try and screw+plug fix in the top or bottom (depending on the location) of the box, or go with rapid cement/dab adhesive/cement mortar to fill the hole and fix to that

Sponsored Links
not very thick then a hollow part then what looks to be a brick behind

Do you mean it's a dot and dab wall?

As requested already, a few pictures would help a great deal.

Gaz :)

The clay used for British bricks often contains traces of oil. If not, coal dust is sometimes added. This means that they need less fuel to keep a large kiln running, and it is more economical to make solid bricks than in countries without oily clay. So in some other countries they are often made hollow or webbed for economy, and are much more often rendered.

I only know this about bricks in Central Italy and in Southern England, there may be other differences. Bricks made in Britain by and for the Romans were made to the hollow pattern as that was the method they knew.

Im chasing out some walls in my house for some new plug sockets.
Do you know what the allowed routes are for concealed cables?
Do you know if the socket circuit is a ring, or a radial, and how to you plan to wire the new sockets into it?
Is the circuit RCD protected?
What will you do about testing your work?

The frogs are there to save money/material, but also to provide a key for the mortar to go in.

I would use polly filler, that's a bodge.
An even bigger bodge is using surface pattresses. It will look crap, and they will likely crack.

You should be using the metal boxes, which are a touch smaller, allowing the socket front to cover your chase (if you're careful and precise).

If the chase exposes the frog, I would not even contemplate drilling for a fixing, unless a cavity or thick external wall, as you will drill through to the next room. Use bonding / plasterboard adhesive to stick the boxes in. No screws required.

There's a good reason to get a tradesman in!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back