Metal boxes in wall chase

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I've chased ut the wall for cables and the metal boxes (for sockets to mount to) and had a couple of questions please:

1. does it mattter if the boxes are below the level of the plaster albeit very slightly? I assumed that this is okay, as long as they are not too deep so that the screws dont reach when mounting a socket. I suspect it's a bigger problem when they are slightlly higher than the plaster...

2. I have used the chisel bit on my SDS to chase out the void for thr metal boxes but they are not perfectly straight which means that when I go to screw them, there is a risk that they may be uneven. How do people ensure that they seat correctly and are flush to the front.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
1. No, as long as it is not hugely recessed.

2. You have to make sure the lugs are horizontal and if you have a run (eg above a top) they all need to be pretty much spot-on.
Use a spirit level, or ideally, a laser level.

Put filler behind and fit straight - then when dry you can fill the space around the box.

Use car body filler, or similar, it sets in fifteen minutes.

Thanks guys. I was thinking that I could use mortar or filler to stratighten the level at the back but unusre on how I will then screw. Do I need to wait for it to set? It's sounding messy...

Sponsored Links
If I want to pack a box out a bit I use bits of plastic, off-cuts of cable, anything I can find really.

Though you could pack it out with plaster or cement, you have to faff about waiting for it to set.

Had a run to do in Salamander. Ended up with very little to screw to.

So I mixed some bonding up with a bit of PVA, making it a bit sloppy, whacked all the boxes in place and held them in overnight with a length of timber screwed to the wall either side of the run.

They're still there. I did the job the same month Freddie Mercury died!

Oh, I suppose I could mix up mortar and set them in that? Then I wouldn't need to worry about screwing in whilst its wet.

Oh, I suppose I could mix up mortar and set them in that? Then I wouldn't need to worry about screwing in whilst its wet.

I have found plasterboard adhesive is perhaps better than mortar for this. Goes in easily and holds the boxes damn solid when set

I can do that. I may be able to drill, plug and screw once its set. The holes seemed a reasonable size?

Yea you can drill and plug through a box screw hole. If you really manage to mangle the hole, you can stick a washer over the screw head, or use a bigger pan headed screw. Use a 5.5 bit and red plugs and you're good.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help guys. Plasterboard adhesive followed by screws, once it has set

Bear in mind that boxes have an adjustable lug - you don't have to get them all laser-level perfect as long as they are not close together.

Bear in mind that boxes have an adjustable lug - you don't have to get them all laser-level perfect as long as they are not close together.

While what you say is true, it's worth noting some makes of fancy flat edge sockets simply don't have the space at the back to tilt them up or down for alignment.

Strange but true - just the way it is.

I have started hardwalling boxes in. Put some on the back and push until the box is at the right level and straight. Immediately fill around with more hardwall, and then clean up inside the box before it sets.

No fixings used, the hardwall is very capable of holding the box solid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back