Metal box sticking out of plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So let me get this out of the way…
The main builder suggested that there was no need to chase in the 35mm metal boxes as the wall will be plaster-boarded and skimmed. There was also a kink in the wall that worked in my favour. Despite this, I chased them in slightly.

Plastering done, all boxes are okay, apart from one. This sticks out by around 4mm and on one side. The builder and plasterer are two different tradesman for what it matters.

The style of switches is undecided. It’s possible, they have a lip which saves the day.

If not what are my options, other than ripping out the current box and surrounding plaster?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
3 options :
a) sink box further into wall
b) leave as - is and leave it as an example of sh*t trade work
c) build a surround around it as a 'decorative' feature

Sink it further in.
Not really a big job to do

If it was me, I'd cut round the box with a multi-tool (avoiding cables) and genttly tease the box out.

Chase the wall accordingly, and tease the box back in.

Or, once the box is out, put a 25mm box and use longer screws, if you think you will cause great damage.

Sponsored Links
Can I use a multi tool with a metal blade and cut the edges off so they are flush to the plaster?

Can I use a multi tool with a metal blade and cut the edges off so they are flush to the plaster?
Probably not easy - but, anyway, wouldn't you then cut off the fixing lug on the side which is sticking out?

Kind Regards, John

if the lugs are set back, maybe a grinder would take off the excess

I imagine grinding the edge of the box off will disturb the round knockouts, and the corners where the two sides are held together.

Never seen anyone attempt this, liable to do more harm than good.

Should be easy to remove the whole box if it's only dot and dab.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back