Fixing Metal Trunking/Channel to brick wall

Ah thanks. I think I will just leave for the plasterer to fill it in with whatever they use to fill these in.

The cable actually feeds a double socket just out of sight directly above.

Sponsored Links
"How far are the cables from the corner ?" - About 10" or so. The cable was always there, on the surface of the tiled wall inside a square plastic conduit. All Ive done (apart from 100% gutting my kitchen) is putting the cable out of sight under the plaster.
Your use of the term "all i've done" makes me think you don't realise the implications of what you are doing. A cable in trunking on the surface is not considered "concealed", a cable burried under the plaster is considered "concealed". The rules are much stricter for concealed cables than non-concealed ones. You are making a cable concealed that was not previously concealed and therefore you need to ensure that it is still compliant afterwards.

You have three main options for running concealed cables in compliance with current regs.

Option 1: run them in a safe zone AND ensure they are protected by a 30ma RCD
Option 2: run them in earthed steel conduit (capping is not considered sufficient)
Option 3: Run them in a special cable type that has a suitable earthed metal layer such as MICC, SWA or flexishield.

there is also theoretically two other options

Option 4: bury them more than 50mm deep.
Option 5: run them in a safe zone AND ensure that the installation is under the supervision of a "skilled or instructed person".

But in practice option 4 tends to be impractical because of other considerations (You need to be very careful about structural considerations if you cut a chase that deep) and option 5 tends to lead to arguments over the definition of a skilled or instructed person and even if the installation is under the supervision of one now whether it will stay that way.

So assuming the cable is ordinary T&E then before you proceed with concealing it you need to determine whether it is in a safe zone and whether it is RCD protected. There is a safe zone in the corner of the wall but it only goes to 150mm (just under 6 inches) from the corner. So if your cable is 10 inches from the corner it is not in it. If the cable is feeding an accessory directly above it then it will be in the safe zone formed by the accessory (note that the safe zones formed by accessories only apply to cables feeding that accessory) but otherwise you have a problem.

Why not just drill holes into the masonry, insert red plugs, and drive in plasterboard nails or similar?

The plasterer won't appreciate having to adhere the capping for you, and will possibly 'trap' or platt the cables.

I recommend you do use either capping or oval conduit. From experience, if you don't, and a cable gets damaged or an alteration made, you are seriously stuck.

Sponsored Links
Stupid design, they don't actually work, and they cost a fortune. There's a much better alternative. They are called 'nails'

My (limited) experience of them was overwhelmingly positive. Just lucky, I guess.

A bot of a strange one. I have chased out a wall, moved previously surface mounted cables below the plaster, screwed (carefully) 25mm steel channel and noticed that there is a measurable voltage of around 20 to 30 volts between the steel channel and earth. I have taken the channel off, carefully checked the cables which are undamaged. Is this some kind of induction voltage and just proving that the earth is doing its job? Thanks if you can help.

If you are using a high input impedance measuring device that is quite normal and predictable. Anything useful that claims to be checking for actual dangerous voltages would have a lower input impedance and would not see those voltages.

Thank you for this. What meter would you recommend to avoid this? Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back