How to secure this type of trunking?

• Thread starter harrisonline
  • Start date
Capping is to protect the cable from a plasterer's trowel.

Given that it's in a chase a trowel would go nowhere near it, so you don't need to bother with the capping at all, just have the cable there.

If you were thinking of using it to make future changes easy, use conduit instead.

Sponsored Links
theres something for dragons den then...

large headed plastic clips that knock into a 5.5mm hole... think of the time you'd save over screws and plugs or the bashed fingers you'd save from plugs and felt nails...

Sponsored Links
no, not like those.. for holding the capping..

something like this but without the nobbly bit on top, just a flat plate..

I use small masonary nails (approx. 1" long) for securing capping like that to solid walls - my breeze blocks seem to cope well with them. The capping doesn't tend to split, because the nails aren't that wide.

If the capping is channelled as in the pic above, then I tend to finish them off with a hole punch to avoid damaging the surrounding plaster.

Incidently - I have had some success pulling cables back and forth through short lengths of this stuff (between skirting board and socket for example), which removes the need for having to dig out the existing capping from the wall and replace it.

you have to be carefull though, in long runs ( high ceilings, solid floors etc ) it's common to use 2 pieces which leaves you with a sharp edge inside where the 2 pieces overlap, giving the chance for the cable to get cut... it may pull out nice and clean, it just means that the joint is facing the other way and may slice into the cable when you pull back in..

Capping is to protect the cable from a plasterer's trowel.

Given that it's in a chase a trowel would go nowhere near it, so you don't need to bother with the capping at all, just have the cable there.

If you were thinking of using it to make future changes easy, use conduit instead.

Yes I have no plans to alter it in the future but I have already put the capping up now with some cable clips

In an earlier post I enquired about conduit but I didn't end up using that as I found that I would have had to chase the wall out deeper. I know how lazy that sounds :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back