Self-Adhesive Trunking?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is self-adhesive mini-trunking much cop?

I'm looking at 40x25mm, to take four 2.5mm^2 T&Es (socket ring, 2kW lighting spur/radial, garage door opener spur/radial - overkill for some circuits but didn't see the point of buying two reels) and leaving space for a pass through 10mm^2 T&E for a cooker in future.

It would be sticking to satin/matt white tiles at the top of the wall, and white dulux emulsion on the ceiling, in a garage. (cold like a shed, but not humid like a bathroom/kitchen)

Stick it? Screw it?

Sponsored Links
Sticky back trunking is no good for fixing trunking properly. After a while it will loose its stickiness and drop off I always use sticky trunking because its easier to fit because you can stick it to the wall and make sure it looks good and strait then i drill and use screws to fix it properly when i'm happy with the position

G.T.S:cool:

Use the sticky back to fix the trunking and then drill through the trunking (9 fixings per 3m length) and in to the wall.

If you use red plugs (pushed all the way to the trunking base) and 1" x 10's it fixes perfectly. You might get away with 1" x 8's if the screw head is a decent size (small screw heads 6-8mm offer hardly any purchase on the trunking due to drilling through it with a 5.5mm drill)

Sponsored Links
I have used miles of S/A minitrinking without a problem, as long as the surface is clean, biggest problem is getting it off if it goes on a bit skew whiff.

I have used miles of S/A minitrinking without a problem, as long as the surface is clean, biggest problem is getting it off if it goes on a bit skew whiff.

Have you been back 5 years later and seen the worn results?

For MT1 it's fine, but for MT2 and up, with some cable weight in the finished trunking the double sided tape will fail.

Not straight away, but let the room heat work on it for a year and it will fail. Add on that your sticking trunking + weight of contained cable on to a paint layer and it's entirely feasible that the paint will pull off, even if the tape doesn't soften and fail.

Personally I consider trunking with just double sided tape a completely cack install.

Having worked at BT for 5 years and done 10 years of Cat5 installs to circa 10,000 positions I know, I've seen the reworks required when the double sided does fail :eek:

Also- try taking the lidding off 3 month after useing self stick without fixings and you can end up pulling the whole length off the wall :LOL:

why would they?

6.5 mm hole ( handy holesaw pilot drill.. ) 5.5mm rawl plug.. tapped in below the surface.. countersunk No 6 screw sits just right in the hole and protrudes far less that a round head screw...
screw.JPG

7 screws.. every 500mm..

if you're running at the top of a wall, then why not just clip to the wall and install coving to cover it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back