what screw to use with penny washer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fitting some trunking which has some adhesive on the back

However as I am a belt and braces type of guy, I would like to drill into the masonry, insert a plug, the a washer and some sort of screw to ensure the trunking stays fixed

However I am confused on the correct screw to use with the penny washer. Could someone advise?

If it helps i plan to use a M5 or M6 washer like this
https://www.toolstation.com/penny-washer/p86424

With this trunking
https://www.toolstation.com/mini-trunking-3m/p12544

Sponsored Links
pretty much anything.
you "shouldn't" use countersunk but it would be fine. The most obvious thing is that the screw does"t go through the hole.
A round head would be better but I doubt any difference
maybe slot the screw hole for expansion

I have fitted miles of this trunking, never felt the need for penny washer, I just use number 8 woodscrews and red plugs if its on masonry

Since you are going to screw the trunking to the surface, I would advise NOT to use the self adhesive on the back. (This can be scraped off with a scraper.)

The reason not to use the sticky is because if you do decide to ever remove it, it CAN take the finishing plaster off the wall - which is not a pretty sight.

Sponsored Links
Re. red plugs: I thought we weren't allowed to use plastic fixings anymore?????

If you're screwing it, save money and buy trunking without adhesive...

if the cable is not otherwise held in place, you'd need metal bands/fixings as well to stop them dropping in a fire.

I usually drill straight through the trunking into the wall & insert a red plug through the trunking, when the countersunk screw head meets the wall plug, it spreads out creating a "washer" of sorts.

:D

I usually drill straight through the trunking into the wall & insert a red plug through the trunking, when the countersunk screw head meets the wall plug, it spreads out creating a "washer" of sorts.

:D

Wot he said!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back