Chopping out grooves with a chop saw

Keitai, do you have a table mounted circular saw?
You can set your depth on that and slide your workpiece through, moving it across each time by the thickness of a cut.
It doesn't work as well with a hand held one as there is a tendency to 'roll' the footplate as you finish the cut.

Sponsored Links
The thought of it sends shivers down my spine!
BEHIND the blade is the ONLY place to be. Even at the side of you can be dangerous. If the blade jams and snaps off the saw, still with a piece of broken blade in it, could be shunted to the side and do you serious damage.

That's not always possible. If I'm cutting a log with reciprocating saw u cant always stand behind it. I'll try to-push it away from me but if I'm pulling it towards me do it side on.

With a circular u cant be in front of it. U have to be side on etc. Just not directly behind it i think

You can set your depth on that and slide your workpiece through, moving it across each time by the thickness of a cut.
It doesn't work as well with a hand held one as there is a tendency to 'roll' the footplate as you finish the cut.
Table saw? No, I don't.

Couldn't u have three bits of wood. Same thickness Two either side of piece you want to cut. Push it through all three with correct depth and middle bit should be perfect? Just an idea.

Been a long hard day at work and I couldn't get my head around what you were saying at first.
Now I think I have. Basically by aligning the boards together you are effectively increasing the width and thereby reducing the chances of rolling?
That seems like a good plan, especially if you can clamp them down as you push the saw through.

Sponsored Links
All of which requires working without either a crown guard or a riving knife. So nice and safe..... :rolleyes:

JAK, yes unfortunately you do have to remove the safety aspects but, as in life, people often find alternative ways to do things which, whilst not being the safest is often the most practical. As with all things, we can only reduce risks not totally eliminate them.

Table saw would be my preferred option, probably the safest within the suggested ideas.

...or you could just learn to use a portable rip saw without rolling it. It's not dissimilar to learning how to use a hand plane in terms of pressure and support of the tool.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back