Chopping out grooves with a chop saw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to chop half the wood out for a groove. I forget the joint name. I'm doing it the slow way with chisel and saw. I'm sure I've seen people do it with chop saw though. There isn't a depth setti ng on my mitre saw so How do you do it?
20191115_135335.jpg
20191115_141959.jpg

Attachments

• 1573828127516762468840321034468.jpg
    1573828127516762468840321034468.jpg
    339.1 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
i have made a wooden concentric disk to go over the black round stop on the rh side off the saw
you can stick a bit off say ply on the stop to stop the head dropping so much
if you get it to work you need to pad out from the back fence about 30mm to bring the work at the back level with the full depth blade

It might actually help if your chisel was sharp, you know....... TBH the one reason I'm not a fan of trenching or housing with a mitre saw is that the depth of cut you get on each pass varies too much depending on the amount of pressure you apply together with the amount of flex in the saw itself, so not ideal for accurate work. I prefer a cheap Speed Square used in conjunction with a smallish portable circular saw (or better a cordless) when out on site

Here's Matthias Wandel demonstrating how to make cuts like that (although being a Yank, he calls a housing a dado - same thing)

also worth pointing out your saw would be better back so the fence is about 20-30mm behind the back edge off the leg stand top
this is because iff you lay a heavy bit off say 8x2" on the saw you naturally to avoid the head lay it quite far forward on the arm and put the weight close to the tipping point out side the leg footprint

Sponsored Links
Need sliding chop saw for joints , they have depth stops on them .
If you have to use a hammer on a wood chisel to cut, it must be blunt .

Last edited:
First rule of woodworking.
Keep all tools sharp.

First rule of woodwork is keep your hands BEHIND the blade at ALL TIMES.
Second rule is keep your tools sharp.
Even a blunt tool can seriously injure you.

We only had to get detention once from the woodwork teacher before we learnt that mantra.
We learnt it by having to write it out 100 times before the next morning! Stuffed your wrist up for doing any writing the next day. LOL

Another rule is to use the right tool for the job.
If you're making several of these cuts, make a basic jig and use a router.

Yeah that's it.

My brother said a circular saw is the best tool for cutting wood out as you can set the depth. If u can do it with a chop saw that would be good too though.

I guess with a circular saw u have to clamp small bits of wood (like in my picture) down really hard to stop them kicking back.

First rule of woodwork is keep your hands BEHIND the blade at ALL TIMES.
Second rule is keep your tools sharp.
Even a blunt tool can seriously injure you.

We only had to get detention once from the woodwork teacher before we learnt that mantra.
We learnt it by having to write it out 100 times before the next morning! Stuffed your wrist up for doing any writing the next day. LOL

Brilliant. I guess you forget this until you hurt yourself.

Yesterday I was chopping logs with a reciprocating saw. I had a firm grip but was pushing the blade in my body's direction. Even worse my legs were open and the blade could have been pulled towards my nuts. I guess side on in best so if blade is being pulled towards u it will go past your body? I know it seems obvious but I feel I need to remind myself of this when rushing and not thinking

Brilliant. I guess you forget this until you hurt yourself.

Yesterday I was chopping logs with a reciprocating saw. I had a firm grip but was pushing the blade in my body's direction. Even worse my legs were open and the blade could have been pulled towards my nuts. I guess side on in best so if blade is being pulled towards u it will go past your body? I know it seems obvious but I feel I need to remind myself of this when rushing and not thinking

The thought of it sends shivers down my spine!
BEHIND the blade is the ONLY place to be. Even at the side of you can be dangerous. If the blade jams and snaps off the saw, still with a piece of broken blade in it, could be shunted to the side and do you serious damage.

Tiredness doesn't help.
When I'm getting tired, I start rushing to get the task I'm on finished and cut corners - not putting the earplugs/mask/googles back on, not clamping the work piece properly, etc. Hard to snap out of it and give up for the day.

Tiredness doesn't help.
When I'm getting tired, I start rushing to get the task I'm on finished and cut corners - not putting the earplugs/mask/googles back on, not clamping the work piece properly, etc. Hard to snap out of it and give up for the day.

Sadly the one sure fire way to snap out of these practises is to have an accident. :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back