Chris Crudelli Martial artist program

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The other night I was flicking through the channels and come across a program hosted by Chris Crudelli.This guy is a good martial artist.
In this program he took 6 people who had phobias about being attack.
He showed them various moves to dis-arm your attacker.How to build control aggression.In the program he was put in a few situations,a bar with a rowdy drunk and his friends.A car park at night with a mugger.
After the program these 6 people said that they had more confidence.
On said she would never at night on the top deck of a bus but after this 5 day course she would.
What worries me is that it might have made them over confident.
When I did my martial arts many years ago,our instructor made it as realistic as he could.We would fight in simi-darkness some of the time.Yes I got loads of cuts and bruises.We was taught to fight through our pain.
He would not tell how he was going to attack you.I did this for 6 years but if someone pulled a knife on me and if I could run,I would run.
In the bar scean he took on 5 yobs.It was good to watch but it did remind me of the old Chuck Norris films where they attack him one at a time and from the correct position.In the real world they would attack you all at once.

Sponsored Links
rommy said:
What worries me is that it might have made them over confident.
He would not tell how he was going to attack you.I did this for 6 years but if someone pulled a knife on me and if I could run,I would run.
I wholeheartedly agree with you rommy - if there's one single thing that Tae Kwon Do training has taught me, it's how to keep my distance from an attacker and use any fitness advantage that I might have to get the f*** away from the situation.

mind body and kick ass moves,its a good series,ive seen most of them,he meets some very interesting characters along his travels

Tae kwon Do is an effective Martial Art.I bet it took longer than 5 days to get proficient in the Art.
I just keep thinking about the saying A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing.
Doing my training as a civvy at the US base,for the first 6 weeks,our instructor toughen us up physically and mentally by taken loads of knocks and pushing through this.At this early stage lots of civies gave in.This was hard training.Train hard fight easy was their saying. After the first 6 weeks we started to go deeper in the techniques.

After the first year I felt so confident that I could handle myself in a fight.
In this system,which is the US Marines close quatre fighting system,There is no belts but what you did gain,and I think is more important,is confidence and a state of mind were you did not have to prove yourself to anyone because you prove it to yourself in training.
And when I watched this program,I just thought it was wrong.

Sponsored Links
rommy said:
Tae kwon Do is an effective Martial Art.I bet it took longer than 5 days to get proficient in the Art.
Too right. Much much longer, but I don't consider myself proficient by any means.

I just keep thinking about the saying A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing.
A good observation.

...what you did gain,and I think is more important,is confidence and a state of mind were you did not have to prove yourself to anyone because you prove it to yourself in training.
You've hit the nail on the head - that's exactly what it's all about.

rommy said:

I'd say.

I didn't really start learning or understanding until I was a black belt, and will I ever be proficient, who knows.

I learned the Japanese way, through repetition. This way techniques become second nature, if you're attacked you don't have time to think, you have to be able to react with the correct response.

The trouble with these programmes is they give the impression, a couple of self-defense lessons and you can cope with all situations. That can be more dangerous than not being taught anything. You can easily find yourself out of your depth, real life is not like TV.

When I get someone in one of my classes, who thinks he knows a bit, seen this , read that, I show them how easy it is to hurt them. Most disappear, but for some it spurs them on to learn properly.

The good thing with these programmes is they sometimes get people to try martial arts. Which is good , for some it's a great way of life.

osu

I'm 100% with you on this gangman.I'm against showing anyone the techniques I've learnt.If they ask, I tell them to join a martial art class and learn it full.I ,and this is my own opinion,think this tv program is bad.It's ok for a martial artist to watch,to get a look at different styes,
but showing a novice how to defend yourself against a knife attack, giving that person the feeling that he can handle himself in that situation,it's just not on.

A friend once asked me to demonstrate TKD, and I reluctantly showed the first part of a complex pattern.

As I expected, this just made him laugh, so I calmly suggested that he attempt to punch me, but sprung backwards and ducked instead of blocking the punch as he'd expected. To complete the demo I gripped his wrist and turned the thumb back to yield instant submission.

The next question was, of course, "what would you if I had a knife?" - the answer is always to run away.

Sponsored Links
Back