Christianity isn't a religion of Peace - Home Office

Sponsored Links
Well, that depends - I suppose you could say that we are taught everything, but then there is instinct; could that be common sense?
How does human knowledge expand if teaching is the only way to gain knowledge? Someone must have worked out something new themself.

I don't think I was ever taught that throwing acid in someone's face was wrong. The subject never came up so I must have worked it out myself. It just seems, as I said, obvious and...

Funny that you should mention "instinct".

IIRC, it was / is received wisdom that we are born with an innate wariness of heights.
But, experiments have shown that this may not be the case and that, even such a "primal" survival strategy is learned, rather than is innate.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/...-with-a-natural-fear-of-heights/#828240546790

Sponsored Links
Well, that depends - I suppose you could say that we are taught everything, but then there is instinct; could that be common sense?
How does human knowledge expand if teaching is the only way to gain knowledge? Someone must have worked out something new themself.

I don't think I was ever taught that throwing acid in someone's face was wrong. The subject never came up so I must have worked it out myself. It just seems, as I said, obvious and...

There is a difference between innate, self-taught (through experience, or logic and reasoning), and taught.
I suppose that, if asked to state their own understanding of the term "common sense", there would be a range of replies. Many of which being "It just is".

I am not sure that a "fear" of heights is a good example, in that there is nothing to fear from the height itself.
Snakes are a different matter.

It might be a genuine phobia - although I suppose that does not apply to babies.

What would you class as an example of common sense - which one person might have and another not?

I am not sure that a "fear" of heights is a good example, in that there is nothing to fear from the height itself.

Fear of falling then; semantics. The point being that the babies weren't hardwired to fear falling; their fear was learned through experience.

Snakes are a different matter.

It might be a genuine phobia - although I suppose that does not apply to babies.

I don't know to any research on that. Although I suspect that a crawling baby might try to put one in their mouth, rather than flee!

What would you class as an example of common sense - which one person might have and another not?

That's my point; less so "common sense", but more a case of "things that have been more widely learned".

Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.
So a bit like going online to 'Paddy Power' and betting your house on a no hope old nag that doesn't enter the stalls...

Thanks for clearing up the 'faith' issue (y)

Fear of falling then; semantics. The point being that the babies weren't hardwired to fear falling; their fear was learned through experience.
I wasn't being unnecessarily semantic. Fear of heights may be felt even with no chance of falling.
Perhaps the babies knew they weren't going to fall.

I wasn't being unnecessarily semantic. Fear of heights may be felt even with no chance of falling.
Perhaps the babies knew they weren't going to fall.

I haven't looked closely at the study, but would have thought the experimenters would have controlled for that.

faith and trust come hand in hand , we use it every day. its not just desirable its essential, we all have a measure of faith.

Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.
As usual.religion talks a good talk,,but makes zero sense in reality.

So a bit like going online to 'Paddy Power' and betting your house on a no hope old nag that doesn't enter the stalls...

Thanks for clearing up the 'faith' issue (y)
Rofl...precisely...except the horse still has more chance of winning than these deluded souls expecting life after death

Sponsored Links
Back