Christmas lights not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This afternoon my neighbour asked for help when their outside lights didn't come on.

They plug them in and out of an outside socket every day and they worked fine last night but not today. They tried plugging them into sockets in the kitchen to no avail but couldn't understand as the kettle worked OK.

upload_2020-12-19_23-51-5.png

Guess where the missing pin was found?

Oh and I just about managed to stop him before he tried pulling it out of the unswitched outside socket.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Now as luck would have it there was a damaged [cracked] plug on an identical extention lead and the pin was soon moved over.

But the thing that bothers me, apart from the shock that nearly happened, is that he and his wife both plugged it in several times each without noticing the missing brass.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Chances are that when they were plugging them in and out it was still attached each time but this time the pin has parted company with the fuse holder inside. If it had stayed inside the last time they withdrew it surely they would have noticed when going to put it back in this time.

Chances are that when they were plugging them in and out it was still attached each time but this time the pin has parted company with the fuse holder inside. If it had stayed inside the last time they withdrew it surely they would have noticed when going to put it back in this time.
The notification for this reply has come through today:cry:

That makes some sense Conny otherwise they may have struggled to plug it in to the socket containing the pin.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back