Christmas ornament

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

This might be completely the wrong place for this, I'm sorry if it's off topic but could anyone advise on this.

Basically, we have a small Christmas ornament that has lots of little colour lights on it, it's only 6inch by 6inch in size.

It had a variable power adaptor that was set at 3 volts and it's worked a charm every year for the last few years but it's been powered on today at 9 volts and the lights went dimmer and dimmer until the went out completely after a couple of hours or so.

I opened it up and it smelt of burning and I think the issue is in the picture, could anyone tell me what it is and if that is likely to be the issue, if so I could potentially get one and solder it in. It's tiny, like 4mm in length.

I could just buy another but the kids love it and there's nothing else I can find the same in the shops

Any help is very much appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_0732.PNG
    IMG_0732.PNG
    491.8 KB · Views: 137
Sponsored Links
Its a resistor but no idea which one you would need.
You use the coloured rings to make a calculation.

Thank you for the reply, I figured it was probably a resistor.

It's in 3 parts and one part still works, I could maybe take that apart and use a multimeter to find out the resistor type.

Thanks again

Post a pic of the rest of the circuit, its likely if we can work out what the part is doing in the circuit, then can likely work out what you need

Sponsored Links
What are the colours on the resistor? In order with gold or silver on the right? I will tell you the value, I think maplin sell individual components.

It looks ro me as if the coloured bands have burned off.
Checking what's inside the other parts is a good plan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back