Chrome pipe and JG push-fit (that old banana...)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I think I might have made a huge error, cos I have put a JG push-fit elbow in a stud wall (is that the same crime as using compressions in a solid wall?)

Second issue is that I had planned to used chrome-plated copper tails to the towel rad (copper tails are already in place but we've decided to opt for chrome rather than copper, so now have to try and pop the copper pipe out of the JG with around 5mm of 'finger space' around the JG collar....

I have read that chrome may work in JG as long as the chrome plating is removed first? Had a go at this yesterday, and it took 30
minutes to clean 25mm or chrome! I am happy to persevere with this, but is 25mm sufficient? Also, how clean is clean? Do all traces of chrome need to removed or just enough for the copper to show through a bit?

Ta muchly....

Sponsored Links
Hello Ellie
You can use your speedfit fittings onto chrome pipe but you need to remove as much chrome that is necessary for the pipe to completely enter the fitting. Wet and dry paper is probably best for this, and you need to get down to a uniform copper surface - obviously you don't want to reduce the pipe diameter though!
Use a collet on the fitting if you can - it prevents accidental uncoupling.
Chrome plating is much smoother and slippier than raw copper but as your speedfit has metal grippers inside the fitting, your project will be ok.
John :)

Dont think its cos chrome is slipperyer,its cos the chrome is too hard for the steel ring to grab,copper is softer than chrome plating.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back