Speedfit with chrome pipe to TRV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just stumbled online someone saying it's a no no. Surely not though..? I made a couple of connections from normal copper with JG onto the visible chrome pipe. They're for a bathroom towel rail that isn't yet connected to the heating. I actually used Speedfit because thought might be preferable to compression incase the compression joint didn't seal (it's so so for accessibility if there was an issue when connected).

I think I already did, but should making sure the chrome pipe is roughened up a bit with pipe cleaning gauze be fine?

Sponsored Links
You need to strip the chrome off it - the teeth inside the Speedfit fitting can't bite into chrome properly and sooner or later it'll blow off

Can you manage to strip the chrome off it without huge difficulty...?

I’m assuming this applies to most plastic fittings but I also imagine they’re often used (like I have) with chrome pipe

yes it applies to all Plastic fittings as advised you have to clean all the chrome off the section that will be inserted into the fitting or the grab rings cant grip the chrome.

Sponsored Links
I understand. Though this evening as an experiment I tried a new bit chrome pipe in a new JG elbow and by the clappers it absolutely won’t pull out (unless the collar is pressed) so the teeth do actually seem to be gripping it well

I’m assuming this applies to most plastic fittings but I also imagine they’re often used (like I have) with chrome pipe
tectite do a scribe tool T115 for for use with their sprint push fittings,works a treat (y)

Sounds a good tool. Cheers
https://www.screwfix.com/p/tectite-sprint-t115-scribe-tool-depth-marker/611fj

Just looked closely at my chrome pipe and it has scored/marked where the teeth in the fitting gripped it. I do however imagine some variants of chromed pipe might be tougher so might not look marked or grip well

I’m sure there must be threads on this topic but no bad thing to be discussing it so as people are aware of the potential issue with chrome pipe

Depends on the quality of the chrome work. The higher quality the chome plate, the thicker and harder the layer will be

AE62194A-C928-4F0A-8D7E-40E545040272.png
Yes, exactly what I started thinking. Maybe some of the older chrome pipe was harder and equally maybe some of the older plastic fittings weren’t quite as good as the latest for gripping.

You can see my pipe has scored/gripped surprisingly well. I’m not saying people shouldn’t be mighty careful though

It might grip now but will it still hold after several hundred cycles of heating and cooling and pressure fluctuations?

Better to strip it as per MI's.

D9D38063-FB3B-4999-AF01-1EF330367379.jpeg
It might grip now but will it still hold after several hundred cycles of heating and cooling and pressure fluctuations?

Better to strip it as per MI's.
Yep, better safe than sorry. Chrome stripped off easily enough. Screwfix pipe. Not a criticism, probably the opposite

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back