Chrome v. Firefox

JBR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been using Chrome as my browser for many years now and have found it to be excellent.
Just yesterday, however, it updated itself(!) and I found that the 'Bookmark' star has suddenly decided to include an option of 'Add to reading list'.
Only a little thing, I suppose, but it just adds another step to bookmarking a page which I really don't want. I couldn't find any means of removing that addition either, despite there being a few web sites which claim to do so, so I've begun to use Firefox now.
Just out of interest, do others have a preference for one or the other?

Sponsored Links
Ctrl+D to bookmark

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211020-210630_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211020-210630_Chrome.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 86
Ctrl+D to bookmark
Thanks. That is, at least, a work around.
I'd still have preferred them to leave Chrome as it was, as I was used to it.
It isn't unusual for many such things to be 'improved' according to how their owners see things which, sadly, isn't always what their customers want!

I use Firefox at home and Chrome at work. Firefox is more privacy-focused, but it takes that too far and blocks so many components that some pages don't work without intervention. Firefox was my preference for many years until they disabled most of the add-ons I liked with FFX 57 / Quantum in 2017. Since then, I think it's lost its edge.
It isn't unusual for many such things to be 'improved' according to how their owners see things which, sadly, isn't always what their customers want!
Like when Chrome removed "undo close tab" from the context menu and I had to learn yet another shortcut.

Sponsored Links
Well, at least I have both Chrome and Firefox running now, so I can change from one to the other depending on how they each behave!
I suppose I could also give Edge a try.

Put this into the address bar:

chrome://flags/#read-later

Then next to that option is a dropdown button for Default/Enabled/Disabled

Set it to Disabled then hit the Relaunch button at the bottom of the Chrome window

I suppose I could also give Edge a try.
I have a very old pc in work running windows 10. Don't use it much but it takes about 10 minutes to fire up. Just recently tried edge on it and it's ten times better.

Put this into the address bar:

chrome://flags/#read-later

Then next to that option is a dropdown button for Default/Enabled/Disabled

Set it to Disabled then hit the Relaunch button at the bottom of the Chrome window
Yes, I tried that. It removed it from the bar at the top but the option still appeared when you click the 'bookmark' star, which really defeats the objective!

Did you close and relaunch chrome? Just checking because the button was still there for me, like you, but once I'd quit chrome and restarted it then disappeared

Last edited:
One other step you may need to perform - right click the Bookmarks bar and untick "Show Reading List"

reading list.png

One other step you may need to perform - right click the Bookmarks bar and untick "Show Reading List"

View attachment 247979
Thanks. Yes, I tried both of those things and it still appears.
It's a shame because I'm used to Chrome, but I won't be defeated so I'm now getting used to Firefox.
That has its own problems. I have 11 tabs which I use regularly and if I have changed one for any reason, when I next open Firefox it doesn't open the original page, which Chrome does.
So now I'm going to have a look at Edge. Nothing's perfect, but I live in hope!

Now tried Edge. Does the same as Chrome but without the bookmarking niggle; looks more like Chrome than Firefox. Easily transferred all my bookmarks (favourites) and tabs. Now made Edge my default browser. Thanks for the recommendations.

Haven't tried Edge. Does it have an ad-blocker or cookie-manager (built-in or 3rd party add-on)?

Haven't tried Edge. Does it have an ad-blocker or cookie-manager (built-in or 3rd party add-on)?
Yes, it has. I have AdBlock and AdBlock2 loaded (not sure that I really need both, but that's what I had on Chrome). There are other ad blockers and several other add-ons/extensions too. I have Google Translate, Flags, Fakespot (for Amazon) and Malwarebytes.

Sponsored Links
Back