Cigarette smoke from next door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.

We've got a problem with cigarette smoke coming from our neighbours house, we live in a terraced cottage.

Every night when they come home we start to smell smoke after a while in our living room, we don't actually see smoke but can distinctly smell cigarette smoke. Not pleasant as we're not smokers and I'm asthmatic.

I think I've found the source of where it's coming from, there's a cupboard with the fuse box and electricity meter in the corner, it's seems a lot stronger there and when opened smells like stale smoke. I've attached images of the cupboard and what looks like a hole at the back.

What is the best thing I can do to seal it, is it possible that the hole goes through to next door to another gap in their wall? We're also getting it in the bedroom directly above which is odd, I'm assuming it's just rising up there from the same place. Or could it be just be getting through cracks and crevices.

Thanks

20151008_190341.jpg
20151017_194106.jpg

Sponsored Links
Problem is there are gaps all around the cabling, see pics. Wouldn't the foam potentially cause damage if expanding around the cables?

2015-11-11 23.21.04.jpg
2015-11-11 23.20.26.jpg

Its only a suggestion but perhaps get an electrician in to examine the installation.

Maybe approach the neighbours and tell them of your concerns. Perhaps they will allow the sparky to have a look at their side of the wall on the ground floor and first floor - it would be in their best interest as well as yours to eliminate any electrical smells.

Sponsored Links
No hazard from foam, you can get fire rated foam.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back