Cigarette smoke smell coming up through floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Can't afford to take off the original floorboards and then fill the gaps underneath so looking for cheaper options to stop smoke smoke coming through from next door (isolated to one bedroom upstairs) no where else in the house.

We share a wall (1930s semi detached) It's definitely through the floorboards (this is upstairs room) Initially I caulked under the skirting boards as it was really bad there around the chimney breast so now it's making its way up through the floorboards.

Can someone recommend a caulk/silicone sealant to fill in between all of the gaps to stop smoke coming through that is suitable for floorboards? They are 1930s originals. Have carpets on top but the carpets just absorb it even more and now it stinks!!!

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It's a 1930s house. I think the smoke is coming through the joists through the chimney or something. It's upstairs and I own the house

Sponsored Links
Sorry I should have made it clear - we share a wall (semi detached house)

Sorry I should have made it clear - we share a wall (semi detached housec
Cigarette smoke cannot penetrate a ceiling , I would guess with the hot weather you have windows open and natural air flow will carry the smoke up into your level.

That's exactly it. Just need to use a caulk or sealant and just seal the gaps in the floorboards but not sure which one to buy! I'm hoping this will fix it

I daresay there's thousands if not millions of houses with dodgy brickwork/mortar forming the party wall at the floor junction where there's no plaster, which I'd guess this is caused by, ordniarily if you didn't have a smoker next door the problem would never be obvious.

Cigarette smoke goes through a brick wall easily.
Experienced this in my previous and current house.
No way to stop it.
I sealed the party wall to the finest gap when I replaced the staircase and replastered the stairwell.
Better, but still noticeable in the morning.
My friend was in the same situation but with curry smell.
He moved to Dorset in a detached house.

If it is the joist ends penetrating the party wall, you only need to take up a couple of boards running along the wall.

Clean it up well, with a brush and vacuum, moisten with a water spray, and use a nozzle to inject expanding foam (I use the pink fire resisting grade) round the joist ends. A foam gun will make it easier.

Before screwing the boards back, pack the space tightly with mineral wool loft insulation, which also reduces draughts

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back