CIL for extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone got any experience with the CIL process. Reading online I am getting mixed information.

I am adding a 2 story extension to my house which is over 100sqm, I have submitted form 9(self build extension exemption) to the authority, once my exemption has been approved, I will submit form 6(commenment of development).

What I am trying to figure out is what’s next, I have read some articles which say I need to submit form7 part 2 and others that say that is the last step of the process. I believe form 7 part 2 is for a whole house build and not an extension.

If anyone has been through this process and could give me any information that would be great.

Sponsored Links
That is quite a sizeable extension for a self-build project. Kudos. Presumably, you're roughly doubling the size of the existing house?

Last edited:
I have only had to deal with CIL a couple of times and the way the guidance is written is awful so you have my sympathies.

As I understand it, and I am certainly not an expert, for an extension you just need forms 9 and 6. Like you I thought form 7 was for a new build house that you submit when the build is complete.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be along soon to confirm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back