Side Rear extension - Prior notification refused

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All,

Thank you for reading through my post and apologies if this has been discussed or asked before.

I want to do a side rear extension to a terraced house under PD. I was told by the local authority to submit a prior notification to make sure if there are any issues. So done some basic plans to show what I want and submitted.

Request for a determination as to whether prior approval is required under Part 1 Class A of
the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order 2015 - Single
storey rear extension. Depth 6m, Maximum height of extension 3m, Height to eaves 2.3m

Few days later got an email to say my application has been refused for the following reason:

The proposal as shown on the plans, by reason of projecting beyond an original flank
wall and being greater than half of the width of the original dwelling, fails to meet the
criteria set out within Class A of Part 1 of Schedule 2 of the General Permitted
Development Order 2015 (as amended).

I would very much appreciate if anyone can advise me on the following

1. Shall I go for full planning permission with a pre-app?
2. Is this something which Local Authority tend to approve or am I wasting my time
3. Any other way I should proceed

Enclosed please find the plans I submitted to the Local Authority.

Thank you

Sam

Attachments

• IMG-20180509-WA0025.jpeg
    IMG-20180509-WA0025.jpeg
    118.7 KB · Views: 389
  • IMG-20180509-WA0023.jpeg
    IMG-20180509-WA0023.jpeg
    98.5 KB · Views: 367
  • IMG-20180509-WA0021.jpeg
    IMG-20180509-WA0021.jpeg
    86.6 KB · Views: 348
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Morning,

You're much better off uploading jpegs or something else that can be viewed in the browser- it is not unknown for malware to be embedded in files that have to be downloaded so people will avoid them.

Your rejection is standard for standard reasons. Have a look round your neighbourhood for similar schemes (ideally see if anyone on your street has done the same with the same original design house with the wraparound) then check your councils planning portal to see if they got planning permission or slid in under other means.
If you do a search on here under Permitted development you may find a guide to what is possible (seen it somewhere but can't remember where)- the way the legislation works allows you to construct some horror shows if you build them in the correct sequence

Thank you my friend for the information.

I have uploaded the plans as jpegs.

Before submitting the application I have looked around for similar extensions but I could not find any wraparound. Mostly rear extensions. I have also checked my street planning applications but none of them since 2008.

Do you think wraparound extension requires full planning application?

Thanks

Yes. Following (fairly) recent clarification on the interpretation of the GDPO on this point, it has been established that the rules are as per the GDPO's supporting guidance. In other words, this is not PD, and so will require a Planning Application. I wouldn't bother with a pre-app.

Sponsored Links
Thanks @Nakajo

What are the chances of getting the planning permission approved?

I guess I will require more detailed drawings along with structural drawings.

Obviously we do not know the local planning policies and the lay of the land, but my gut feeling it is too big and unlikely to be approved. Besides it is a very strange layout...how do you get in to the extension from the house?

Rather than just tacking an extension on the back of the house why don't you have a smaller side return/wrap around extension and reconfigure the existing kitchen/toilet/store, you would get a much better layout and better chance of planning approval.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back