Circiut Fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a CU containing a GE 30mA RCD and 6 MCB's (3 ring mains, 3 lighting). This morning the RCD tripped for no apparent reason. As usual, I tripped all the MCB's, reset the RCD then the MCB's one at a time. Upon resetting the final lighting MCB, the RCD tripped again. Eureka, I thought. I made sure all the lights were switched off and tried again but to no avail. As far as I can tell, nothing on this circuit is switched on but the RCD will not reset with the MCB on.

Nothing has been done to this circuit for nearly a year, when I installed a new halogen light fitting. What is the best way to troubleshoot the circuit?? I do have an analogue multimeter.

Sponsored Links
Does this lighting ciruit consist of any that may supply outside lights?

No, internal lighting ony, bedrooms, shower room, stairs etc

you say a new halogen light fitting? do you by any remote chance mean an outdoor floodlight?

Sponsored Links
Any chance of removing all lamps from that circuit, & then trying to reset the mcb.

Yes, no problem. You'll need to educate me though. Given that all the lights are switched off, what am I testing by removing the bulbs?? (I'm assuming I've got an earth fault, hence the RCD tripping.)

Has the halogen fitting have any internal components, ie ignitor, ballast, or is it a 240v halogen bulb?.

No, the bulbs are mains voltage. (Crompton THG940F to be exact!) Two of them blew together about 10 days ago....

test the insulation. ideally use an insulation tester, altho if there is a big fault then a multimeter will show it

Is there only one metal fitting on that circuit ( the ones with the halgens on it)?

Sorry, Gavanto, I mis-read your question. No there are two metal fittings ans one metal-faced wall switch. Everything else is plastic.

MikeU said:
Sorry, Gavanto, I mis-read your question. No there are two metal fittings ans one metal-faced wall switch. Everything else is plastic.
are they earthed? (i hope they are)

ok, disconnect both fittings,check the wiring behind them for signs of overheating, ( make sure that you terminate the cables into connector blocks), then try switching your mcb on. If it stays on, & your rcd doesn`t trip then bobs your uncle, if not, then I`m afraid you`ll have to trace the fault with an insulation tester, good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back