circuit breaker loose wires burned

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,
bad smell traced it to the breaker ,was very hot and melting plastic in top right corner, so called a spark asap
he said it was loose wires there , he tightened them up and now it works fine but is coming back to install a whole new box system.
would it be ok to leave it as it is ,now its working?
I know safety is paramount but just wondering?
hopefully pics work

damn xmas problems!!
[/img]

Sponsored Links
bad smell traced it to the breaker ,was very hot and melting plastic in top right corner, so called a spark asap ... he said it was loose wires there , he tightened them up and now it works fine but is coming back to install a whole new box system. ... would it be ok to leave it as it is ,now its working?
It certainly looks rather nasty. It's only really the electrician who looked at it in detail who could tell you whether it is now safe enough to use temporarily - can you not ask him? When is he coming back to replace the CU?

Kind Regards, John

hi j,
hes coming back sunday afternoon to change the set up,said its ok for now but not to use loads of electrics at once.
Been using things and checking it periodically and its cold to the touch now he has tightened up the wires.

Just niggling at the back . . .!
would you to deffo replace without question ?

hes coming back sunday afternoon to change the set up,said its ok for now but not to use loads of electrics at once.
Been using things and checking it periodically and its cold to the touch now he has tightened up the wires.
Fair enough - that's really your answer, then. If nothing is getting hot, then it's probably OK for a couple of days, provided you keep the loads low.
Just niggling at the back . . .! would you to deffo replace without question ?
Again, that's really only something which 'the man on the spot' can decide, but it very probably is the best solution - 'bodges' may be possible, but they are never really a good idea! Some of those cables/wires will probably have been damaged by the heat, and your electrician will need to sort that out.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Thanks John, yes I thought the same,but always best to ask someone in the know,
oh well time to raid the kids presents and get selling on gumtree! :cry:

Nar im not really..yet!!
thanks again

ha!
yes sorry,it was actually taken while he was working on it,all back together now!
But well spotted taylor ,you passed the test!!

Why is he replacing the whole consumer unit, just needs a new neutral bar and cable from the main switch. Obviously cut back and re-terminate any other connections that have been damaged, just seems overkill and unnecessary expense to me.

Why is he replacing the whole consumer unit, just needs a new neutral bar and cable from the main switch. Obviously cut back and re-terminate any other connections that have been damaged, just seems overkill and unnecessary expense to me.
We haven't seen the state of the cover, nor the extent of any 'collateral damage'. One also might struggle to satisfactorily attach a new neutral bar to what is left of that part of the casing. However, there's presumably nothing wrong with any of the 'components' (MCBs, RCD, main switch), so one could probably just replace the casing (i.e. a non-populated CU - maybe that's what the electrician intends?- the OP did just say 'a new box'). However, given that most of the cost is that of labour, I'm not sure that there would necessarily be a substantial saving.

Kind Regards, John

everything is clean and fine regarding the cover ,except the part in the pic and slight bubbling to the plastic above the burnt wire in the photo,but the cover is fine.
I just cannot take the chance to say no ,even though I thought it may be ok to just replace the damaged parts,but then,its my fault if my house burns down!
So had to take his decision to change the whole unit as gospel.
Cannot question him without real working knowledge of the job in hand,thus i seek your opinions and gain an insight!
thanks so far gents

everything is clean and fine regarding the cover ,except the part in the pic and slight bubbling to the plastic above the burnt wire in the photo,but the cover is fine. ... I just cannot take the chance to say no ,even though I thought it may be ok to just replace the damaged parts,but then,its my fault if my house burns down! ... So had to take his decision to change the whole unit as gospel.
You could try asking him if there is any reason why he could not just replace the 'bare CU' (the casing, plus the earth & neutral bars and the DIN rail to hold the MCBs etc.) and re-use all the existing components (MCBs, RCD and main switch) - and what difference that would make to the price. He would also need to replace that burnt neutral wire (so something extra to buy).

Kind Regards, John

It looks like a Square D board, a lot of their MCBs aren't interchangeable so it may not be quite as easy as it looks.

Even worse if they are the "plug in" type of MCB.

It looks like a Square D board, a lot of their MCBs aren't interchangeable so it may not be quite as easy as it looks. Even worse if they are the "plug in" type of MCB.
Fair enough. Another issue is presumably that if one were replacing it today (or on Sunday!), one would presumably probably be thinking in terms of replacing it with a dual-RCD one (rather than a like-for-like' singe RCD split load replacement) - and that, of course, might possibly (but hopefully not) throw up other issues with the installation.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back