Circuit breaker rating for cooker circuit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I want to connect my eletric oven to the consumer unit via an existing 6mm cable. I currently only have one spare 6A circuit breaker which I'm going to change for to a more suitbable rating. The oven is rated at 5.2KW so just over 21A. Will a 32A breaker suffice or should I go for 40A?

Sponsored Links
Akshay said:
Hi, I want to connect my eletric oven to the consumer unit via an existing 6mm cable. I currently only have one spare 6A circuit breaker which I'm going to change for to a more suitbable rating. The oven is rated at 5.2KW so just over 21A. Will a 32A breaker suffice or should I go for 40A?

it uses 21A. now think about it. 20A could trip. 32A is next up. so why the hell would you go to 40A for a 21A load?

What sort of consumer unit do you have?
What existing circuits and where did this spare 6mm cable come from?

Hi I can't see what make it is but I can see an embossed symbol that resembles two J's back to back. The cable is from a previous electric cooker install (previous owner) which was disconnected from the old style consumer unit.

Sponsored Links
do you know the reason for the owner disconecting the cooker circuit? are you 100% sure the cable is ok to use, i.e not damaged.

simon_d said:
it uses 21A. now think about it. 20A could trip. 32A is next up. so why the hell would you go to 40A for a 21A load?
Are we not forgetting to go easy on posters as they're probably not qualified sparks and are entitled to a little ignorance? ;)

Yus lets go gentle.
32A is the corect protective device for a 6mm cable. You havent mentioned an isolation switch - this must be positioned within 2metres of the cooker.

Please remember that any new circuit being connected must be properly tested before it is energised - there are a number of tests.

Also remember that you are installing a circuit into a kitchen so special care is required and this work should be notified to the local authority.

TTC

Hi thanks for the more "toned down" comments. :cool:
The 6mm cable was removed when the new consumer was installed because the old occupants had an electric hob. The original outlet point was taped off and the cable to the consumer unit hence removed. The outlet has been moved to a new location and connected to the electric oveb via a 45A cooker control switch and a terminal outlet box. I used a 4mm heat-resistant flex for the oven connection, and the isolation switch is 0.5m from the oven.

What are these tests before energising the circuit?

Its all in BS7671, mate but for a radial circuit (like you'll be installing):

Continuity of Protective Conductors
Continuity of Live Conductors
Insulation Resistance
Polarity
Earth Fault Loop impedance
Functional Testing

You'll need all these,as you know, to complete the Certificate of Electrical Installation. That is what the Local Authority will want to see when they are notified that you have carried out:
1. Installation of a new Circuit (oh yes it is)
2. Electrical work in a special location (kitchen)

TTC

PS Not being so gentle as its now the working week

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back