circuit breakers for boiler circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive just discovered that my boiler, which is supplied by a separate circuit, seems to have two circuit breakers on the consumer unit - is there a reason why this would have been done? I cant work it out myself. One is a standard circuit breaker, the other is an RCD one (if thats what you call it) with a blue switch, which when you push it in, trips the breaker.

CHeers

Sponsored Links
the "ordinary" breaker will be an MCB, if it is dedicated to the boiler it should be a 6Amp one (unless the boiler has a local fuse). and will trip in the event of overcurrent or short circuiut.

the RCD will trip in the event of an earth leakage, on a boiler this is most often if there is a water leak at the pump or inside it which wets an electrical part, but it will also protect in the event of a nail going into a concealed cable, or mice gnawing on it.

It is unusual to provide an RCD just for a boiler circuit, are you sure it does not protect sockets as well? Or is the boiler in an outhouse?

If you post a pic of the CU we may be able to see why.
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=129539

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back