circuit to garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have just qualified my 17th 2382 and am doing EAL course i am rewiring a house at present and intend to use it as my assessment for niciec or elecsa. any how i just wanted some adice from an experienced spark. The garage is attatched to the house via a half brick and timbered lean to/ verandah. my consumer unit is a split board with 2 63a 30ma rcds. I intend to run the garage sockets on a ring final kitchen circuit and the lighting on the down stairs lighting circuit. This should be acceptable shouldn't it? I dont need to supply the garage on a seperate circuit with a small distribution board do I?. The ring and lighting will have protection by mcb and additional by rcd. as a matter of interest due to reg 522.6.6 and 522.6.7 in 17th i am rcd protecting lighting. so that up and down lighting are swapped with up and down power to satisfy those regs and good old 314.1 (avoid hazards and minimise inconvienienc in the event of a fault. All the above should be ok??. thanks

Sponsored Links
I'd prefer to see the sockets on their own circuit from the CU. Perhaps a 20A radial?

The kitchen ring is probably the must power hungry circuit in a house, and IMO should be left to just feed the kitchen. Depending on how you interpret the reg, there is also a possible infingement of "314.1 (avoid hazards and minimise inconvienienc in the event of a fault" (sic) ;)

Taking the lighting feed from the existing downstairs circuit is fine, as is you proposal to keep the lights and sockets on different RCDs.

thanks. Are you saying that if fault occurred in garage then inconvienience to kitchen would be caused because if earth fault occurred in garage then all circuits on that rcd would be inconvienienced?.

Sponsored Links
Yes, thats what he means. The garage sockets are probably most likely to be connected to damp & RCD tripping effects. If you've got the freezer on the same ring then you loose all that steak!

Personally i'd put the frrezer on its own RCBO so it doesnt share its supply with anything else. and the garage on a 20A radial.

Good luck with your assessment BTW. Sounds like you've picked a big one for this ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back