is 17th retrospective with CU change

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just got 17th 2382 and just had a thought. should i be required to change a CU, then according to the 17th regs, rcd protection is required for lighting circuits and upstairs power if not buried more then 50mm or cover by earthed metallic blah, blah, blah. So, can i just peplace CU or do I need to use a split CU with 2 rcd's and protect the lighting and upstairs power, thanks

Sponsored Links
As you will be designing and certifying it to the 17th edition then you should be installing a 17th edition compliant board.
How you choose to go about it is up to you. You may opt to install a dual RCCB high integrity board, a normal board fully loaded with RCBOs or a split load with RCBOs on the non-RCCB side.

thankyou spark, i think that we are all heading down the route of individual rcbo's for every circuit

Sponsored Links
Yep, From now on it's all circuits RCD protected (Unless as you said blah blah blah :LOL: ) so the best way of doing it is to use a split board with both sides RCD protected. (Excluding any sub-mains out to garages e.g. SWA blah blah....) So yes you should do everything you can to cater for the future.

Off Topic Alert!

I'm not an electrician but I have been thinking about this for some time.

We recently built an extension about 18 months ago and it seemed to make sense to put the kitchen sockets on it's own circuit, and also the seperate hob and oven on there own circuits so we upgraded from a single 9? way wylex metal clad board which had a single main RCD protecting all circuits to a shiny new 12 way split board. 1 side with an RCD protecting the shower and sockets, the other side without an RCD doing the lights, oven/hob, boiler etc.

Am I right in thinking that my old board would now comply more to current regs than the new one?

Edit Wasn't really a question, I think I know the answer anyway :D

No, you old board never really complied to anything, a fault on one circuit would cut every single one, including the lights, which is aganst regs, 17th and 16th (maybe earlier).

Thats why I'm not going around fitting boards with RCD incomers to 'comply' with the 17th!

Edit: Edit yours before I can get my reply in!

Reading back into my 15th ED regs, you could say that those regs imply the same as the 16th, but split rcd boards were unheard of when I started. RCD incomers, yes, but not split boards.

Wow, thanks Click-Sure. I have to admit I didn't know the answer (I thought I did.)

Thanks for all your comments, i am just starting out and it is appreciated. I fancy the route of dual rcd boards with an rcbo between main swith and first rcd for hall stairs and landing and any light near the cu. upstais power and down light on one rcd and vice versa on other rcd. perhaps b6 mcb with the rcbo b4 the first rcd also for smoke alarms. does anyone concur? I got a wylex dual rcd board fully wired with 10 mcbs and an rcbo for £120.00=, how does that sound

edit: b4 as in before and b6 as in b type 6 amp

Don't think wylex do a b4 :LOL:

Seriously, it sound's a good plan to me.

-----------------------------------------
I need a signature (Not an electrician)

There is not a specific reg in the 15th demanding rcd protection for circuits, however:

Where an installation incorporates socket outlets rated at 32A or less which may reasonably be expected to supply portable equipment for use outdoors, at least one socket outlet shall be:

(i) placed in a position suitable to supplying portable equipment outdoors, and

(ii) marked in accordance with regulation 514-8 (FOR EQUIPMENT OUTDOORS),
and

(iii) provided with supplementary protection to reduce the risk associated with direct contact by means of a residual current device having the characteristics specified in regulation 412-14 (30mA/40ms)..........

Hence houses built in the 80's have at least one RCD socket near an outside door.

So, split boards came in pretty much with the 16th, although I don't believe they ever complied.

Cool!

I'd like a 2A breaker for my Accenta alarm supply...not type 4, though!

:eek:

I have somewhere a 34.5A type F breaker, but can't find it at the mo... ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back