Country
United Kingdom
i have a small house and im getting a new kitchen

i have upstairs lights 6amp no rcd

downstairs lights 6amp no rcd

cooker circuit 32amp rcd protected

upstairs ringmain 32amp rcd protected

down stairs ringmain 32amp rcd protected

the electrician said he could exstend downstairs ringmain for the kitchen sockets and give me a certificate

or just the work he dose must be the 17th eddition?

to give me a certificate would he have to bring the lighting circuits upto the 17th eddition( rcd) or not
hes only changing the kitchen light

Sponsored Links
Do you have a particular reason to doubt your electrician's word, Kevin?

Why do you think that a simple replacement light fitting would attract special consideration?

That chap has offered to issue a certificate for the work. Isn't that enough?

Lucia.

I can't see that a simple "like-for-like" change of a light fitting would require the addition of an RCD to bring it up to the 17th.

so dosent he have to bring the lighting circuits upto the 17th eddition to issue me with a domestic installation cert :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
There's no such thing as a "domestic installation certificate".

Are you sure he's a real electrician?

kevin / kfelec, leave the wiring to the electrician, dont worry yourself with it, as long as they can certify and inform BC then you have done all you can to get someone tidy, if you feel there are issues then you can query his governing body.

Relax Kev, Existing installations are just that and do NOT have to be updated(if in a safe condition) Only new or altered circuits have to conform to 17th ed. The exeptions are if you change your shower in the bathroom, you WILL need RCD prot if not already there.

the electrician said he could exstend downstairs ringmain for the kitchen sockets and give me a certificate

or just the work he dose must be the 17th eddition?

to give me a certificate would he have to bring the lighting circuits upto the 17th eddition( rcd) or not
hes only changing the kitchen light
k3v1n, you're an apprentice electrician - can't you either find someone trustworthy to do this job, or at least ask your boss the question? He should know.

so dosent he have to bring the lighting circuits upto the 17th eddition to issue me with a domestic installation cert :rolleyes:
kfelec - I find it very strange that you should have to ask that, given the expertise you have previously laid claim to..
alright all

im going to a job in the morning havent seen or been there yet but i have to put a new mcb in the ccu for thr lift im not sure yet if its rcd protected?

with it being a feed for the lift should it have a rcd, rcbo protection or just an mcb the reason i ask is because in case it trips and people are stuck inside the lift

any views thanks :D
alright lads

just a quick one im doing a periodic domestic cert (test) on a flat it has two ccu,s one for the sockets cooker lights ect and the other ccu is for the storage heaters

should i do seperate certs or both on the same one :rolleyes:
i always find that when im doing pir tests.

the cables to the smokes should be earthed

what i normaly do is get a bit of slack on the cables and redo them :D
done a test today on a ringmain and i dont no if its just my eye sight but the cpc in the 2.5 t+e looked to be 1mm instead of 1.5 :rolleyes:

and the reading on the end to end on the line to line was 0.43ohms

neutral to neutral was 0.43 ohms

and the earth to earth was 1.04 ohms which i find to be a bit high

any thoughts :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back