New CU

What someone might offer for sale in one particular case isn't a valid basis for designing an installation.

Consumer units can be obtained in any configuration you want. Design the installation first, then purchase the consumer unit for it.

Very true, I guess keeping everything on rings is more future proof too.

I will go with an 8 way RCBO board pending size with 3x 32s, 2x 6s and a 40.

What brands does everyone rate?

Sponsored Links
Very true, I guess keeping everything on rings is more future proof too.
Why do you think that?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of ring finals vs radials?

What sort(s) of circuits are better suited to be ring finals, and which radials, and why?

The sparky I had quote for the job advised he would be using 2x 6amp for lights up and down, 2x 20amp sockets up and down using a radial for each and 1x 32amp for kitchen ring final.

Boiler will run off the sockets up via a fused 3amp outlet.

He quoted to fit a 6 way MK dual rcd board which leaves me 1x spare way.

However after doing my research I understand I am better off looking for CU which uses Type A RCBOs or RCCDs.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of which brands do the Type A units please?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wylex rcbos are type A

Which probably means Crabtree are too as they are similar designs.

Circuits sound ok. But you having an electric hob? That will want its own circuit on 6mm

Sponsored Links
Thanks Andy, I will look into them brand's.

I currently have a free standing gas cooker but long term I plan on getting the kitchen redone with a built in single electric oven and 2 ring gas or induction hob.

Any ideas how much power is needed for a 2 ring induction hob?

Thanks.

I'm edging towards a gas hob so that means the oven could plug into the kitchen ring as most of the ones I have seen are just a 13amp plug.

That leaves me a spare way on the board too just in case.

Is it worth spending the extra money going for type A rather then type AC?

Well the wylex 'A' RCBO's aren't anymore expensive than normal RCBO's

Sure you don't want to run some 6mm cable in, just incase you want an induction hob?

I was hoping to get a dual rcd type a board and 6x mcbs. The kitchen isnt getting rewired yet, will get that done during the refit so plenty of time to decide on cooker/hob.

So far I can only find hager dual rcd boards coming with type a.

Another question, currently the wylex board fitted has 2x type a rcbos but their are curve c, should I be looking for curve b?

The rest of the mcbs are curve b.

Thanks.

Well C curve are ok for 6A ones on lighting.
Type B protect better.

If you are on a budget you shouldn't really be worrying about Type A or AC RCDs! Hager are also expensive!

You may want to look at a brand called fuseboard. They do cheap type A RCBOs

Well C curve are ok for 6A ones on lighting.

they were useful with old "filament" bulbs, especially spots and downlighters, and certain dimmers, but I have not had a trip since I went over to CFLs and LEDs.

All the RCBOs in my house are "B"

I got lucky and managed to pick up a new MK 6 way board with Type A 63amp rcd's. I went with 2x 32amp, 2x 20amp and 2x 6amp mcbs's as planned by the electrican who is doing the work.

I understand MK is pulling out of consumer units, maybe explains the good price.

I looked into the CP Fusebox brand and it looks good valve but would have still cost me another £55 ish.

Thanks guys.

I got lucky and managed to pick up a new MK 6 way board with Type A 63amp rcd's. I went with 2x 32amp, 2x 20amp and 2x 6amp mcbs's as planned by the electrican who is doing the work.

I understand MK is pulling out of consumer units, maybe explains the good price.

I looked into the CP Fusebox brand and it looks good valve but would have still cost me another £55 ish.

Thanks guys.
I don't believe MK do Type A RCCBs in their range. Awful product anyway - glad they're retiring.

Anyway Electrician will get better product at better price. (Hager with SPD for me.)

MK RCBOs from that era were manufactured by Schneider (merlin gerin) and were great quality. Sadly they’ve changed suppliers at least twice since then with a reduction in quality each time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back