CU feed

Sponsored Links
Lol yeah I know that, I think the problem is the 8 sockets in the office that runs from a single 13amp plug which is plugged into a socket in the garage, which is why I've changed this and installed a new ring circuit. I just wanted someone to double check if 6mm cable feeding the cu was adequate or if I should upgrade that to 10 or 16mm whilst I'm at it

Last edited:
Maybe I should try and explain it better.. the 6mm cable feeding the garage at the minute isn't causing any issues but it's not installed right, it leaves the cu in the house, and exists at the side, clipped directly to the building and then going underground, no conduit or nothing just plain simple twin and earth, I know this isn't right so I will be removing that cable anyway, I just want to know if I should reinstall it with 6mm or if I should upgrade it to 10mm anyway.

I didn't install the previous wiring which is why I'm changing it

Sponsored Links
Lol 12 monitors as I'm I have a 737 flight simulator being installed in the office hence why I've decided to change the wiring

The total load will be 12 monitors, 2 PC's, chest freezer, fridge freezer, and 3 lights and a printer.
You need to know the load in amps. You don't.

But is 6mm safe enough or am I on it's limit.
You are the one who has decided that he knows enough to be doing electrical design work. We here are not the ones doing it. You need to be able to work out the answer to that question. You may not ask us because you are the one responsible for the design, not us.

These forums are great for a quick answer, like I said, I know enough to be able to install a ring circuit and cu unit safely,
Actually, you don't.

I don't just want to throw in a 10mm cable cos it's cheaper, I would rather to it right hence why I asked the question in here.
You may ask how to find the information, and what things to learn, so that you become able to work it out yourself. You may not ask random stangers on the internet to do something which you have decided you shall be responsible for.

I appreciate what all tradesmen do, and the skills they bring to the job,
Actually, you clearly have not the beginning of a glimmer of comprehension of those skills.

but some people like myself like to get their own hands dirty and try other things.
Then learn how to do it properly before you do it.

I think the problem is the 8 sockets in the office that runs from a single 13amp plug which is plugged into a socket in the garage
Dear God.

kelso - please, for the sake of your own safety, for that of others who might venture onto the premises, and for the love and security of all those in your life, get an electrician - you really, really, really are not competent to do this.

I just wanted someone to double check if 6mm cable feeding the cu was adequate or if I should upgrade that to 10 or 16mm whilst I'm at it
IbInIz

Ban all sheds, rather than constantly copying and pasting, a simple answer would help, ie,

If I was you, Use this link to calculate the total amount load and this this link to see what cable size is required.

If someone asked me for help with something I'd try my best to point them in the right direction.

Dear God.

kelso - please, for the sake of your own safety, for that of others who might venture onto the premises, and for the love and security of all those in your life, get an electrician - you really, really, really are not competent to do this.
you seem to have the view I did this l. I did not which is why I'm changing it.

If your able to help then please much appreciated, if you just want to copy and paste, I'm sure I could recommend a forum to you!

Looking at amps I would work out that the office runs at..

1 amp for light
8 amp pcs (based on 800wat / 230 volts?)
Printer 2 amps
And 12 monitors at 1.8amp each

Total office, 32.6 amps

Garage would be

4 chest freezer
8 fridge freezer
3 lights
Total 15amps

Overall total - 47.6amps

According to internet, 16mm should be fine with a total of 10m cable run ( I assume by this it means the total meters of feed cable or does it want the total of the ring cable)

Ban all sheds, rather than constantly copying and pasting, a simple answer would help, ie,
The answers I have given are simple.

And they would look the same were I to type them from scratch or paste them in. You would not be able to tell the difference, nor would anything on the server side.

If I was you, Use this link to calculate the total amount load and this this link to see what cable size is required.

If someone asked me for help with something I'd try my best to point them in the right direction.
But the problem you have is that you cannot, you really cannot, do this work on the basis of just asking whatever random questions happen to occur to you.

The only responsible direction you should head in is towards an electrician.

you seem to have the view I did this l. I did not which is why I'm changing it.
My "Dear God" comment was in response to your repeated, ignorant, suggestion that a bunch of daisy-chained extension leads might be the cause of the upstream MCB tripping.

if you just want to copy and paste, I'm sure I could recommend a forum to you!
Would it do any good to ask you for a reasoned, intelligent, explanation of why pasting text into a reply automatically makes it worth less than text typed in one letter at a time using a keyboard?

I've worked out amps used a cable calculator
Which you quite clearly either do not understand or did not use properly.

16mm² for 47A over 10m? WHY?

and still no sensible input from you

• http://www.batt.co.uk/upload/files/4d5.pdf

The references above which are in italics are either out of date or incomplete. The principles are still valid, and you can absolutely learn valid things from them, but you will need to refer to the latest edition of the Wiring Regulations to get the correct data.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back