Please can you help out a few questions need answering :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there Iv got a question what I can't find a answer to and wondering if you can help ? Please be nice or don't bother :)

Iv had our new garage connect up to the main cu but now we need to add a 32amp commando socket outlet (for the new RV) we already the a 16amp for when our friends come down in there caravan ect

this is our layout from main cu to the garage cu

32amp mcb - non RCD side 6mm cable to small cu place next to main cu then the 6mm cable going in a rcd 30ma then feed the 4mm 3core swa what goes to the gargle ,then what goes into a metal box then goes into the garage cu, in the cu there is a rcd 30ma what supply's 16amp MCB - sockets , 16amp mcb - for the commando socket, 6amp mcb for the lights.
The 16amp mcb for the commando socket only draw 10amp as the caravan got it own 10mcb - this is only used when they come down
On the sockets there only a freezer what stays on nothing else

My question are:
can we add the new 32amp commando socket in the incoming power what goes into the garage rcd (we will use 4mm to connect it to commando socket)?
Will this be classed as a spur?
If it is classed as a spur I can connect it up? If not I'll call the electrian, that not a problem just don't want to waste money if we can do the work ourselves

It will be protected by the 32amp mcb in the house and by the rcd in the house. There will be no more than 20amp Max And it won't be used all the time only when it comes out of storage a few day before we use it
I

Sponsored Links
Not quite sure what you are trying to explain, see if I get it?
You have distribution circuit rated 32A from the House CU, this cable is 6.0mm2 T&E and is not RCD protected.
Then this cable is connected to a 30ma RCD from that the cable is goes down to 3 core SWA at 4.0mm2 this goes to the garage.
There is a metal adaptable box that the SWA is terminated to and that is connected to a small garage CU.
This CU, within this CU there is a 30mA RCD, that protects a 16A for Garage Sockets, a 16A MCB for a commando Socket and a 6A MCB for garage lighting.

To this set-up you wish to add a 32A Commando Socket, not swap out the 16A Commando socket.

If so we need to look at a number of things, Your 30mA RCDs are rated at what ampage, do you have a spare way at the garage CU?
Do you have suitable test equipment to perform the required safety checks.
I do not think spurring is an issue, loading is, as is the safe application of the work.

Thanks for the reply

Yes correct, better explained !

i do not have any spare space in the garage cu at all, both RCD's rated at 40amps so can't see that being a problem as it will not reach 40amp because of the main supply is only 32amp.

Yes safety is the key and want to do thing correct, I know how to install it ect I can get it checked over that's no problem but I didn't think you need to tell anybody if it a spur, proberly wrong :)!

Hi, if the 16a is fed by a 2.5mm cable why not change the socket to 32a and fuse it at 20a ? And then make up a standard 16a to 13a plug for the caravan.

Based on the fact that you only require 20a at the 32a socket that would be the easy option.

Regards,

DS

Sponsored Links
but I didn't think you need to tell anybody if it a spur, proberly wrong :)!
Not sure what that means? But I am assuming by your explanation, that we are talking about radials rather than ring circuits, so I doubt you will have any issues regarding spurs.

No it not a ring its a radial so I just spur it off the main supply what goes into the garage cu ?

No it not a ring its a radial so I just spur it off the main supply what goes into the garage cu ?

You can or you can spur of one of the two power circuits, which ever you decide to upgrade. If you are considering using both commando sockets, then you could use that as the dedicated circuit to the RVs and increase the amp rating of the protective device, to that that would satisfy the load and protect the cable.

Then this cable is connected to a 30ma RCD from that the cable is goes down to 3 core SWA at 4.0mm2 this goes to the garage.
There is a metal adaptable box that the SWA is terminated to and that is connected to a small garage CU.
This CU, within this CU there is a 30mA RCD, that protects a 16A for Garage Sockets, a 16A MCB for a commando Socket and a 6A MCB for garage lighting.

So you have 2 RCDs in line? Pointless. Under fault conditions both will go and you'll have 2 to reset. Consider getting rid of the one in the garage which will then give space in the garage CU for another MCB.

So you have 2 RCDs in line? Pointless. Under fault conditions both will go and you'll have 2 to reset. Consider getting rid of the one in the garage which will then give space in the garage CU for another MCB.
And presumably no main switch

But of a late reply Sunray
I have no idea how I managed that, I thought it was a tangent to ths thread:

Hi there Iv got a question what I can't find a answer to and wondering if you can help ? Please be nice or don't bother :)

Iv had our new garage connect up to the main cu but now we need to add a 32amp commando socket outlet (for the new RV) we already the a 16amp for when our friends come down in there caravan ect

this is our layout from main cu to the garage cu

32amp mcb - non RCD side 6mm cable to small cu place next to main cu then the 6mm cable going in a rcd 30ma then feed the 4mm 3core swa what goes to the gargle ,then what goes into a metal box then goes into the garage cu, in the cu there is a rcd 30ma what supply's 16amp MCB - sockets , 16amp mcb - for the commando socket, 6amp mcb for the lights.
The 16amp mcb for the commando socket only draw 10amp as the caravan got it own 10mcb - this is only used when they come down
On the sockets there only a freezer what stays on nothing else

My question are:
can we add the new 32amp commando socket in the incoming power what goes into the garage rcd (we will use 4mm to connect it to commando socket)?
Will this be classed as a spur?
If it is classed as a spur I can connect it up? If not I'll call the electrian, that not a problem just don't want to waste money if we can do the work ourselves

It will be protected by the 32amp mcb in the house and by the rcd in the house. There will be no more than 20amp Max And it won't be used all the time only when it comes out of storage a few day before we use it
I
Please provide pictures of the whole installation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back