Are you allowed to replace an RCB yourself?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a garage wired to it's own RCD which is rated to 16amps. A few years back we had an extension built behind the garage and it's wired to the same RCD, so the extension and the garage are wired to the same RCD.

Anyway, we've bought a treadmill to go in the garage and we can't use it because it keeps tripping the garage RCD, but it works fine wired in the house. I'm guessing this is because the garage is only 16amps and the house sockets are 32amp.

So my question is, are you allowed to replace RCD's yourself, could I replace the 16amp for a 32amp, or do I need an electrician.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Technically you can do it your self if the electrical instillation to the garage (aka the wiring) will support a 32A circuit, however I personally count up-rating a MCB/RCB/RCBO as notifiable work and thus if you did not want to use a qualified electrician and assuming it is notifiable work, you would have to notify the local authority building control (likely costing around £200-£300) whilst also having the knowledge and the special calibrated equipment to ensure the circuit is safe.

Further more beside notification, one can not up-rate a MCB/RCB/RCBO without first ensuring the cable can safely take the increased current, additionally taking into account voltage drop, cable grouping and insulation de-rating factors.

Your safest bet is just to get a qualified and competent electrician in.

Thanks for the response, I was going to check the cabling first, I've had a quick look at it, and it look like 4mm cable.

But yes, maybe I'll ring an electrician on Monday. Any idea how much we would expect to pay for something like this (if it's a straight RCD swap).

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I would guess the cost would likley be call out charge if there is one, plus around £20-£60 to swap the breaker and test to make sure all is safe amusing it is just swapping the MCB/RCBO + testing.

I would think £40-£80 total would be a reasonable cost, but get multiple quotes to get an idea of the cost.

I think £40 wouldn't be within an asses' roar given that an RCBO is likely to cost the Electrician around £30 to purchase in the first place.

Ok, I was assuming it was a MCB. If it is a RCBO or MCB + RCD that needs to be replaced, then around £30-£40 more.

How is this treadmill connected?
Over 16 amps seems an awful lot for a motor driving a rolling road.

How is this treadmill connected?
Over 16 amps seems an awful lot for a motor driving a rolling road.
Indeed. I thought the same myself. Unless there are lots of other loads running.

Perhaps it is a faulty treadmill/running machine.

The treadmill is connected via a normal plug. The only way we can use it is to run an extension from the house out to the garage, as that's the only way it doesn't trip.

The RCD for the garage/office powers others things too, including;

2 x Apple iMacs
40 watt studio speakers
2 x HP Microservers
Additional LCD monitors
Wi-Fi extender
Telephones
Printer
Xbox One
Dell PC
Phone and other chargers

That tripping indicates current leakage over it's 30mA rating, either due to the combined currents of all the other equipment in there, or the house supply doesn't have an RCD / has a faulty one.
The solution will NOT be a straight swap of anything, and most certainly will not be in the under £100 range. It's not a DIY thing either.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back