Treadmill tripping RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bought a treadmill off ebay last night. I saw it working fine before I bought it.

When I've got the treadmill home and set it up in the garage it runs for about 10 - 15 seconds or so and then trips the RCD for the garage.

I'm guessing there's an earth leakage on the treadmill somewhere, but wonder if the earth leakage may be ok but the RCD a little sensitive?

I'm going to run an extension out to the garage today and see if the treadmill works, I suspect it's going to be fine when not connected to an rdc.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice of how I can get it working in the garage?

Sponsored Links
Likely no RCD in the house where you bought it. Not sure what is in a tread mill but likely there is a build up of dust, and damp which have allowed earth leakage.

So you can try drying out and using vacuum cleaner or air line to get rid of dust but failing that then the test equipment required to locate the fault is not really a DIY job.

They often include variable speed drives, which have EMC filters that cause a small amount of current to flow to the protective conductor. This can at some speed settings be enough to trip an RCD, particularly if there are other "leaky" items powered from the same RCD.
I don't have my BS7671 with me at the moment, but items with significant leakage current shouldn't really be run off a 13A socket anyway, but should be hard-wired via a FCU.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back