Adding further sockets to a spur (in garage)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm currently converting my garage (part integral) into a home gym, which will house a treadmill etc.
There is one socket in there at this time, I've checked, and it doesn't seem to be part of a ring so it looks like it is a spur.
Ideally I would like to put additional sockets in the garage (2 additional) to power the treadmill, stereo etc.
I've had two thoughts on how to achieve this (bear with me as I'm no electrical engineer!!)
1) Use a 1 to 2 or 1 to 3 gang convertor socket, don't know a great deal about these, saw some in B & Q last night.
2) Run an extra spur from the current socket providing a duel point socket.
My concern is that the treadmill will draw a lot of power and I don't want to overload either the current spur or the new spur (if I put one in).
Any ideas/comments will be appreciated

Sponsored Links
With a bit of searching have found that a spur off a spur is definately not a good idea!

You could turn the spur into a double socket, or use a multi-socket adaptor (which will be fused at 13Amp). Look up the power rating of your treadmill. I doubt it will be as high as that, the heaviest loads are electric heaters, so try not to have a powerful one in there. Your radio is insignificant load.

When you say part integral, do you mean is is attached to/overlaps the house? Can you find a socket inside the house on the adjoining wall?

You can change the socket into a FCU and then add sockets after that as it's all protected by the 13amp fuse in the FCU. If this is outside a RCD socket(s) are required but as in garage are not but maybe a good idea.

Or you can extend the ring itself.

Sponsored Links
Hi,
I don't know the power rating of the treadmill yet as I'm deciding which one to buy, can't seem to find any info on the websites.
Wasn't planning on a heater so that should cut down on the rating.
Yes, the garage overlaps to the front of the house, and is adjoing the lounge, but there isn't a socket along this wall.
So long as the combined rating, of stereo (as you said - insignificant) and treadmill is less than 13 amp then I should be ok just to swap out the socket for a double socket??
I'm also thinking of putting a TV in there, I think this will need 5 amps.
Thanks

Hightowermark said:
You can change the socket into a FCU and then add sockets after that as it's all protected by the 13amp fuse in the FCU. If this is outside a RCD socket(s) are required but as in garage are not but maybe a good idea.

Hi,

I think that the socket convertor I was looking at last night was an RCD socket, is it one with a test posn and something else on it??!!
Thanks

Hi, what is the rating of the fuse/mcb in your consumer unit that is supplying the exsisting socket?

Hi,
The rating is 30 amps on the ring main for downstairs/garage.
Thanks

Hightowermark said:

Hi Hightowermark,
If I change the existing single socket (spurred from downstairs ring main) into an FCU, what is the rule for what can be run from the FCU?

I need 3 sockets (1 for treadmill, 1 for stereo, 1 for possible TV) - whats the best way of going about this?
Thanks
Rob

This would be an acceptable way of solving the problem, providing the new sockets are connected to the LOAD terminals of the FCU. as far as i am aware there is no specific limit to the number of sockets allowed, other than making sure you do not exceed the earth loop reading for the protection device, and the cable run is not causing you to have excessive volts drop which is unlikely to occur in the situation you have described.
Remember though you will only be able to use upto a combined total of 13A on ALL of your new sockets.

HTH
Rob

Cheers Rob,

If I go the way of the FCU (which is looking best bet), do you reckon it would be better to run one further socket (3 or 4 point socket) or two further sockets (both dual).

Distance/position of the sockets isn't an issue, as all of the appliances will be arranged along the same wall space, so I was going to position them close to the FCU.

Also, is there a need for them to be RCD sockets?

Thanks again

Rob

It is entirly a matter of personal preference. I personally would fit 2 twin sockets just becase these are much easier to get hold of and probably a bit cheaper than triple or four way sockets.

:D

Can I just check that if i fitted two additional twin sockets, these would be independant of each other, ie both connected to the FCU but not connected each other
sorry if i'm sounding stupid, just want to make sure!

If you want
(1) an FCU so the load is limited to 13Amp
(2) an RCD in case you carry the exercise m/c outside or get wet and sweaty

Then you could buy a RCD FCU, run a 13A radial off it (in 2.5mm T&E, though 1.5mm would do) and string as many sockets and FCUs off it as you want, like pearls on your wife's necklace. And you won't need any of the sockets to be the RCD type (which is of course more expensive). So yes, they are connected to each other, that's OK because the radial is fused.

Right then, to confirm....

Swap out existing socket (supplied by spur from 30 amp ring main) for an RCD FCU (13 amp).

Run one twin socket from FCU (connected to LOAD terminals).

Run a twin socket from new twin socket (shown above) , then terminating the radial circuit at this outlet.

Thanks to everyone who has offered advice, this is the first time I've posted on this site and have found it to be really helpfull.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back