Circular argument for driveway planning permission (or not)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having just paid for a streetworks license, Section 106, building control, we thought we'd resurface our 100m2 tarmac drive at the front of the house which slopes towards the house.

As part of this mains sewer connection (septic tank failed) the water authority and building control have agreed that our ground is "impermeable" and that water can be removed via the sewer system as we have no other alternative. The current surface water goes into an unserviceable land drain which disappears into my foundations :(

My question is do I need planning permission to replace this drive? I guess I'm feeling the pain a bit as I feel I'm forking out for something I already have and perhaps have been caught up in the paving over front garden regulations.

Also, while I'm at it. I would like to replace by derelict 4m2, 3m high porch with a same size non-derelict version. Do I need another planning application? Can it be the same one? Or because it's there already can I ignore planning? Are there some basic planning rules I'm missing on the planning portal?

Sorry - hopefully my questions are clear amongst the exasperation. <edit a more useful title>

Sponsored Links
I believe that if you are replacing a drive with impermeable paving then you are requried to seek planning permission. The fact your ground is deemed as impermeable and you are being given building control advice and consent to drain to the sewer system should help support your planning application for impermeable paving (it is pointless the planning department requesting you use permeable paving, as the ground is identified as impermeable anyway!)

It doesn't really matter than you already have the impermeable drive there... just that you are placing a new paving down (after removing the old one).

Similarly, with your outbuildings, you might not necessarily need permission to demolish a structure (though in some cases you do) but you would need permission to reinstate or build a new structure in its place, even if it is exactly the same.

Cheers Luis, I managed to get some guidance from the planning department, providing I don't increase the non permeable area by more than 5m2, I don't have to apply for planning. Apparently it is a bit of a grey area, intended to cater for the conversion of urban front gardens. I was advised if there was any increase area it should be permeable and/or drain into my own land. They seem less tolerant if the area drains onto the public highway. As for the porch... you were correct, it's a planning job.

Similarly, with your outbuildings, you might not necessarily need permission to demolish a structure (though in some cases you do) but you would need permission to reinstate or build a new structure in its place, even if it is exactly the same.
"Trigger's broom"?

Sponsored Links
Exactly - I think I'll replace everything but the brick in the bottom right hand corner and my neighbours will hopefully thank me for removing the eyesore ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back