Circular fluorescent tubes keep blowing...

• Thread starter Deleted member 18243
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 18243

Hello I have a kitchen lamp fitting which takes a 60 watt circular fluorescent tube.

It is about 10 years old and has had a few replacement tubes over the years, but now it seems to kill every new tube I fit in it, and these tubes are expensive!

When a new tube is fitted (and I always put a new starter in with it) and switched on, the tube lights for about one second and then cuts out, leaving the tube ends black. Subsequently it will not light.

The only components in it are the tube, starter and choke. All the wires look OK, so I guess the choke must be the problem. (It is a simple 2-wire choke).

In other lamps I have only known chokes to fail open circuit, in which case nothing at all happens when the power is turned on.

Can a choke fail in this way that it blows the tube?

Sponsored Links
Most chokes do tend to fail and remain open circuit, but i have had in the past a few that i assume short in the windings letting excess current through and these do blow the lamp filament almost instantly.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back