Flourescent lamp problem

Wow this is really taking off guys! I had not expected such a huge response & was ready to concede (especially since this isn't my cooker hood to start with). But now it has become too interesting to let go & I would like to get to the heart of the matter...How to test a ballast choke!
I understand a ballast in basically a simple inductor & it's purpose is (at least initially) is to produce a voltage spike & thereafter limit current in the lighting circuit once fired. But it seems to me like it's still only a fairly basic coil of copper around an iron core & as that it should be measurable in some form. But then again maybe i'm wrong. Between posts I dismantled an old bathroom lamp I know for sure works. I measured the choke on that for continuity, guess what...zero on a 20M scale. Not content with that I ramped my megger down to 250v & zapped the terminals, result...open circuit. So what else could be inside there that blocks continuity?

Sponsored Links
Of course I meant infinity on a 20M ohm scale, not zero ohms. Please excuse my overeagerness (quick to type/slow to think) sorry!
I also got an open circuit reading with a 250v megger test. Then again seeing as it's DC test voltage I suppose that isn't a conclusive sign the choke is actually defective. Or is it?

I knew what you meant, just joking :)

Apart from burnt out ones, or where the connecter has broke, where the windings join, I have never had a unit fail.

Then again I have never tested one for continuity.

Sponsored Links
Glad you were only pulling my leg! As I said at the outset, lighting isn't my thing. But I can't help thinking I am overlooking something simple when it comes to establishing if a choke is actually good or bad. I have roamed the net looking for a valid test procedure, but to no avail. To be honest repairing the cooker hood has taken second place. It could be as simple as a bad contact in the tube fitting that's causing the problem, I will check that later. Right now I am more curious about the elusive inner workings of the choke.

Not something utterly daft about the GS38 shrouds preventing the probes from getting on the terminals properly, is it?

Hi Adam, I don't think so but I will look at the hood again tomorrow (in daylight & without the aid of alcohol). Right now I am more interested in finding a test procedure for establishing if a choke is good...or no-good. There must be one someplace.

I think maybe they only altered the windings to lower EMC and there still just a winding inside.

tridonic chokes are 230 v 50 hz rated.
The line current to run a 11 watt tube is about 0.08 amps.
maybe you could work out the resistance.

Hi Rocky, I run that down to approx 290 ohms. I don't have that on either of these Tridonic chokes...both read infinity/open circuit. I suspect a choke might work on a self inductance principle, but being somewhat weak on the lighting side I'm not that sure. Thinking about it in wider terms, does a choke need load to function correctly?

Easy to tell it's Saturday night...I missed a decimal point! Of course that should have read approx 2900 ohms (not 290).

The DC measured resistance of a choke will be less than the AC measured impedance of the same choke.

Without a load there is no current flow in the choke so no magnetic field created so no opposition to flow so the answer is YES... chokes do not work without a load. ( like a flow restricter can only restrict when there is flow to restrict )

No-load...no-light, that explains it all.
Choke schematics are frustratingly misleading as they show a continuious winding wrapped around an iron core. Something akin to a transformer without a secondary winding. It also explains a method to check if a choke is ok or not...test it with a known good load.
Then the light fault must be down to a break in a tube cathode or maybe just a bad connection on the female pin connectors in the lamp body. I am pleased we got to the bottom of the issue...I have enjoyed this discussion a lot. Regards to all :D :D

No-load...no-light, that explains it all.
Choke schematics are frustratingly misleading as they show a continuious winding wrapped around an iron core.

That is exactly what a choke is. Any change in current in the coil creates a change magnetic field. This change in the magnetic field creates a voltage in the same coil but with a polarity which opposes the flow of current. With a steady DC current there is no change of magnetic field so no opposing voltage is generated.

This is a ballast for a 26W PL lamp, tested on low ohms continuity.

DSCN0501.jpg

On IR at 500VDC it shows as a dead short.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back